Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Playlists] Shuffle+ A new shuffling method

Hello everyone! 

Ever wondered why everyone is still stuck on same old Shuffle? Whether is shuffling non heard songs properly or is just completely Random, it's still always the same. How about improving this tech a little bit?

This idea was already posted once through this link: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Music-Supreme-Shuffle-among-artists-albums-etc/idc-p/4...

However, it didn't get enough kudos per year, but I'm ready to try again and be more engaging with the community that share same expectations from Spotify.

Shuffle+ is all about listening all your favorite songs in the most diverse order you never thought would be possible. "How?" you may ask. Simple. Instead of being a random shuffle, or true shuffle, Shuffle+ would works as a filter check where you can choose what to Shuffle or not.

Example 1: Imagine my standard Favorite playlist from Spotify is already ordered by Album. So every time you play it, it will always play the same songs in the very same order. From album to album, alphabetically. However, I'm feeling like listening to them on a different order, but still want to enjoy whole albums or artists separately instead of shuffling through musical genres. So, you would do this:

[  ] Artist

[x] Album

[  ] Track

[  ] Genre                 Then hit play!

What would this do? Spotify would only Shuffle+ among albums until that artist's albums in your favorite playlist are over, then, it would play tracks in order from the next artist's albums with similar genre, because only album was checked . For this to work they would need to add a new Column on library just for Genres. If not, we would only be able to shuffle among artist, album and tracks, though, with random genres.

Example 2: 

[x] Artist

[  ] Album

[x] Track

[  ] Genre 

This would make Spotify play a artist's whole tracks in shuffle mode, independent of albums, meaning albums order would be random, but all his songs would be played, no matter what. Then, would go to the next Artist and repeat it to that artist, and so on.

Example 3:

[  ] Artist

[x] Album

[  ] Track

[x] Genre 

This one would make Spotify Shuffle among Albums and Genres, don't minding Artist or Track order. Once one Album from one Genre finished, it would play the next Album in the next Genre. If Genre is not implemented by Spotify, then it would be like example 1.

Example 4:

[x] Artist

[x] Album

[x] Track

[x] Genre

This would work just like usual Shuffle.

Example 5:

[x] Artist

[x] Album

[  ] Track

[  ] Genre

This would play one artist album in proper tracks order, then Shuffle to another artist's album and repeat.

REMINDER: Always remember that whenever Shuffle+ is active, only what is selected will shuffle. Unselected items should play in proper order.

Now... How would that look like? 

Just like the 'Loop' option alternates among 'Loop All', 'Loop One', and 'Loop Off', the 'Shuffle' button could alternate the same among 'Shuffle', 'Shuffle+', and 'Shuffle Off'.

The concept of the "check boxes" to select what would be included in shuffle could be done by touch/holding 'Shuffle' on media player button to open up the 'Shuffle+' menu, where the main/first option would be 'On/Off', then the second would have the "tags/checkboxes" to pick what you want to shuffle. Doing so would save that as you preset for Shuffle+, always using it whenever you're cycling among Shuffle option. This means if the user wants to change how his Shuffle+ shuffles through content, he would have to open that menu.

Hope you all get the idea. If you don't, please say in the comments and I will try to make it clearer.

PS: Not intended for Liked playlist only or Freemium users. Since this is a really complex shuffle method, would only apply to Premium and would apply to all available platforms if possible.

Please! Comment bellow what are your thoughts, what could be improved, if you liked it or not. I will update the idea as we get more opinions about it so we can improve it together. HELP SHARING THE WORD! =D

-----CHANGELOG-----

*Update 08/23/2021

- Fixed example 3 as I got confused with the explanation. Before even though Genre was checked, it was not being shuffled in the example as it should be with anything that is checked on Shuffle+ filter

- Added examples 4 and 5

- Fixed a few sintax errors

*Update 07/18/2021

-Added a little capped observation that maybe wasn't so clear

-Added changelog section to the bottom with all updates/edits so far

*Update 06/14/2021 

-Added 1 extra example with album and genre-

-Added how it it would look and deepened on simplified toggle on/off-

-Mixed both PSs together-

Updated on 2022-06-24

Hey! Looks like your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and we hope it continues being supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your suggestion. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
osornios
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2021-05-30

Marked as new suggestion, which is a repost of this inactive idea.

Luan
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2021-06-10

Hey! Looks like that your idea is growing up fast and it's amazing! We are going to change its status to 'Good Suggestion' now and I hope it continues to be supported by more and more users.
Thanks again for your idea. We really appreciate it 🙂

More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Anand_Rajasekar

Its a good idea and a unique one!

But it can’t be useful for everyone and might be complex for some.

I personally love this idea because I prefer to play Artist and Genre based than the Albums.

Yes! As I said it might have some impact on simplicity of Spotify.

If its gonna implemented I prefer it to be a toggle ON & OFF

Haisom

@Anand_Rajasekar

Indeed! It might be too complex for a regular user, but it's not that hard to learn though. The biggest issue in my opinion is how to implement it and make the "check boxes" something intuitive, like... Tags? (Not to mention the coding of the algorithm for that to work, of course"

Take this for instance: 

Just like the 'Loop' option alternates among 'Loop All', 'Loop One', and 'Loop Off', the 'Shuffle' button could alternate the same among 'Shuffle', 'Shuffle+', and 'Shuffle Off'.

The concept of the "check boxes" to select what would be included in shuffle could be done by touch/holding 'Shuffle' button to open up the 'Shuffle+' menu, where the main/first option would be 'On/Off', then the second would have the "tags/checkboxes" to pick what you want to shuffle. Doing so would save that as you preset for Shuffle+, always using it whenever you're cycling among Shuffle option. Requiring user to open Shuffle+ menu again (Through touch/holding) if he wants to remove or add something from the Shuffle+.

About how useful it can be for some, I agree... Everyone has different preferences when it comes to music and your mood heavily influences it.

I will include this in the main post. Thank you for you feedback! Please, share how you would make this more simple, yet, function in the same way or better =D

blauesauto

Sounds great… I mostly can’t just shuffle my whole playlist because Metal music isn’t appreciated/appropriate everywhere 

Haisom

@timoo

Ikr... I'm a Uber driver and relate a lot with you lol

Shuffle+ would help us a lot

FrangyBeanz

This is an awesome idea, especially if it could also be applied to playlist folders 🤟

Haisom

@FrangyBeanz

Of course! The thought of this is to be able to apply on every kind of playlist as possible. Though we would have to rely on Spotify for it

Haisom

I'm impressed with how fast the idea is growing! Thank you all for your support.

Let us show Spotify all our love for music and new ways for appreciating this art by revolutionizing the way we listen to music.

Help spread the word of this idea so it will get even more upvotes! 

Haisom

Hello everyone!

Hope you all doing great.

I made a little change to the post and here it is in case you don't want to read it all over again:

"REMINDER: Always remember that whenever Shuffle+ is active, only what is selected will shuffle. Unselected items should play in proper order."

-----CHANGELOG-----

*Update 07/18/2021

-Added a little capped observation that maybe wasn't so clear

-Added changelog section to the bottom with all updates/edits so far

*Update 06/14/2021 

-Added 1 extra example with album and genre

-Added how it it would look and deepened on simplified toggle on/off

-Mixed both PSs together"