[Desktop][Playlists] "Queue Album": put it wholly into the end of the queue.

Also see this discussion on the forum, about how the queueing system is confusing to people that like to listen to full albums at a time. The issue is that "Play album" does not work as expected.

Allow me to copy-paste my conclusion about the current situation from that other topic:

•  Spotify has a working "Add to queue" feature.
    Just click the ... and choose "Add to queue". That always works as expected, both on songs and on albums. However, Spotify has more than just that queue:
  •  Spotify has a working "Play song" feature, and will follow-up with related songs.
    Spotify likes to keep playing, so it will automatically create a "Next up" list based on the song you started playing, usually beginning with other songs in the same album, and then others by the same artist. But these are just suggestions; your manual queue will take precedence.
  • Spotify does not have a working "Play album" feature.
    The confusing thing is of course that there is a Play icon on albums. But when you click it, that doesn't play the album, it just executes "Play song" on the first track of that album. See above for what happens then.

Why is that an issue?

Well, suppose you want to play Album A and then Album B. A rather intuitive way to try and get that done is this:

1. Go to Album A and click "Play"
  2. Go to Album B and click "Add to queue"

That doesn't work. In reality, it will play the first song of Album A, then Album B in its entirety, and then the remainder of Album A. This is not at all what anyone would expect if you execute the above two actions.

Suggested fix: clicking "Play" on an album should:

1. empty the queue
  2. fill the queue with the entire album
  3. start playing the queue
  4. (possibly do something with "Next up" if you like -- we don't mind that, as long as the album we wanted to play is guaranteed to play thanks to being in the queue)
Spotify-Play-Album-issue.png

Updated on 2019-05-04

Marked as new idea.

Comments
cameronbraun

YES PLEASE!

seahorse9213

Please create an "Add Album to Queue" fucntion to both desktop and mobile! It is enfuriating to have to add each individual song from an album to my queue. Sometimes I accidentally add the same song more than once because of the clunky way I have to click them individually. When I have a nice "Made for you playlist" going and I come a cross an artist that I really enjoy, it's nice to listen to one of their full albums and then return to the playlist without having to do it manually. 

djelectron

This is the single most frustrating feature of Spotify. I have been a musician all my life, and I've been a DJ for 18 years. I understand intimately what a queue is, and I finally do understand how to queue up albums in Spotify. It just isn't easy or intuitive. Even though I know the "Spotify way" to create a queue of music, I often screw it up when adding multiple albums. No bueno.

The most frustrating part is when I choose to just begin listening to an album, not thinking I'm going to listen to more after. If I decide at some point that I'd like to queue up more music to begin playing after the album I'm currently listening to, it is impossible to preserve the continutity of the current album. The new music would start immediately after the current track. To avoid this, I add nothing, but that leaves me driving many times with the music stopped and having to add music at an unsafe time. How nice it would be to be sitting at a light midway through an album and be able to add music to the end of the queue!

The OP is correct that playing an album does not add the entire album to the queue, only the first track. Making the simple change where playing an album cleared the current queue and added entire album to the queue would improve the entire community's experience and would bring Spotify in line with how all of the other music services' players work. Adding a "Play Next" option in the drop down menus should also be added. Ideally a person should be able to add a track, an album, or a playlist to the end of the queue (or begin one if none exists) with the existing "Add to Queue" button, and they should also be able to select a track, an album or a playlist to be played when the current track finishes with the "Play Next" button. That should preserve the queue and just insert the track or tracks ahead of all the exising queued music. The  "Clear" button when viewing the queue that does exactly what we would expect, so nothing needs to be changed there.

Thank you in advance for taking this into consideration. This would be a small coding change that would greatly improve the experience for everyone.

exsiccation
Roadie

Agree. Spotify's current behavior for this is bonkers and inexplicably different from literally every other audio player I have ever used in my life.

Rock Star 22
Rock Star 22
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2019-05-04

Marked as new idea.

jmo333
Casual Listener

Y’all are going through all of these contortions to explain how to queue tracks in Spotify. IT SHOULDN’T BE THAT DIFFICULT. Apple Music makes it super simple (see attached) by allowing you to play a song NEXT OR LATER. Spotify SUCKS for not adding this simple feature to their UX. It”s ridiculous.

Spotify.PNG