Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Podcasts] Filtered by unplayed episodes

I noticed with the latest update that the 'Filtered by' unplayed episodes has been removed. If a podcast has over 100episodes it can be a bit annoying to scroll all the way down to the ep I'm up to. I can sort it from old to new, but I want to hide/archive the eps I've listened to please. Not everyone is up to the latest episode and if you sub to an old podcast with lots of eps, you really need this feature.

Just hitting play from the overview screen will play the latest/oldest (whatever the first file in the list is). If old eps where archived it could play the one I'm up to (as long as it remembers to sort old to new). 

Screenshot 2021-03-29 201908.jpg

Updated on 2022-09-08

Hey folks!

We're happy to announce that "Filter by unplayed episodes" is now available! 🙂
Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and for voting to make this happen.
Cheers!

Comments
MrPlace

I transitioned to using Spotify as my main Podcast listening platform...and thought that the sort by played/unplayed was a spectacular function. Then they just removed it for no reason at all. 

PLEASE add it back Spotify. Please. 

Jacob
Status changed to: Good Suggestion

Updated on 2021-05-20

Your suggestion has at least 50 votes in 3 months! Keep gathering votes. If this idea gets enough votes, Spotify will check it out and post a status update. You can read more about the idea process here.

kpwxx

Drastically needed feature - not sure why this was removed in the update. Not only do I now have to give an extra click to get to Podcasts when playing music, since it's no longer in the left hand side bar, then scroll through the list of all podcasts I follow since they can't be sorted by 'Recently played', when I do get to the podcast I want I have to scroll through hundreds of episodes to find the one I'm up to, every single time!

You'd think with a thing like podcasts easily getting to the episode you're currently on would be a very high priority feature.

Kelsiuss

This is CRITICAL for me to listen to podcasts that have 25+ episodes. Last thing I want to do is scroll through finding an episode that hasn't been played between all of the ones I've already played. Plus why are you taking away functionality, shouldn't you only add & enhance what users are used to?? This really hurts & I'm contemplating dropping premium for this reason alone.

mitsughost

why would they even consider removing that feature in the first place? It was so useful. They need to add it again. ridiculous. 

thieln74

THE WORST CHANGE!  Having to grab my phone to use the unplayed filter for podcast episode is ridiculous.  It's not like books where you have to do them in order.  Skipping around episodes is normal.

lucanomax

I'm pretty sure spotify doesn't care about podcast. I've switched to other apps for podcast and my experience incredibly improved.

It's hilarious that a feature su useful previously available, needs hundreds of posts for being discussed to re-implement.

Do a favor to yourselves and search for better apps for podcasts. There are a lot infinitely better than spotify.

VTechCPA24

I submitted the idea months ago for basic podcast functionality that would allow a user to mark a podcast or multiple podcasts as played whether I listened to them or not.  This could also be accomplished by the seemingly easy feature of only showing the last X podcasts be it a number or a unit of time ("show only last month").  Not only do the managers of Spotify not find value in this feature they also take away the ability to only show unplayed episodes?  

As others have said shouldn't you be adding features?  

I will be going elsewhere for my podcasts soon and, if you don't fix these basic issues, I'll be much closer to cancelling my premium subscription.

Roseyyyyyy

I gave up and switched podcast players. It has all the features I want (and then some) plus I don’t have to use a different player for RSS feeds... Spotify does not care and it shows. I recommend just switching where you listen. Lol

Topcatyo

Spotify used to be my new favorite way to listen to podcasts til the most recent update. The new podcast layout is a huge downgrade and I'm actively looking for a new way to listen to my podcasts.