Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Remember Position in Playlist / Album

Please remember the current song playing in a playlist so if I switch away to a different playlist and then switch back, Spotify will know where I left off.

I often can't finish a playlist right away or my mood changes so I might switch to a different playlist. Later, I want to finish the previous playlist, not start over again.

Updated on 2023-03-27

Hey everyone,

This idea accidentally ended up in the wrong board, so we're moving it back here. 

We're keeping the Not Right Now status as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
yfang00

Today, when I switch between music and podcast, Spotify does not go to where I left off for that particular type of media. This is very inconvenient and force me to use another app just for podcast. Your app should be able to remember where a user left off for each type of media, so when they switch to it, the app goes to the previous state for that media type. 

beatrizfromSpain

Yes. I also had this idea/need and arrived here with a Google search. I would go even further as to suggest, in the same spirit, that if you are listening to that same playlist, but in shuffle, that Spotify remembers which songs you have already listened to and plays all the rest before repeating one of them. It already does that if you listen to the whole playlist in one go, but I mean that it should do it even when you stop listening to that playlist, listen to something else, and then come back to this playlist, the same way the person who opened the thread explained.

davez12

I have a playlist of 500+ songs that I play on shuffle while at work. It takes a few days to get through the whole playlist and songs don't get repeated during that time.

If I to listen to a podcast after work, when I come back the next day I have to start my playlist over, which means I'm listening to a bunch of the same songs every day.

Please make it so I don't have to restart my playlist even if I listen to a podcast.

Alex
Status changed to: New Suggestion

Updated on 2023-03-16

Hello @davez12 

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new suggestion. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

BabyEcho0_YT_SP
Joan
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2023-03-27

Hey everyone,

This idea accidentally ended up in the wrong board, so we're moving it back here. 

We're keeping the Not Right Now status as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

rikverstraete

it's like netflix would each time suggest you watch episode 1 from season 1  , each time you switch from serie A to serie B . As if everyone watches only 1 serie before watching another one ! 

i found myself  while listening in shuffe play to a own playlist and scrolling to some new music, clicking by accident on that new song and thus leaving my playlist... no way to go back to that playlist. So even without a remember postion of each playlist a go back to previous playlist would be great ! 

ak-jay

I have playlists with hundreds of songs. I’d like to be able to Continue where I left off to avoid restarting the playlist and hearing the same songs especially at the gym.

WndrflGlrs

Enable users to continue playing a playlist from where they last left it, after listening to something else. E.g. listened to 50% of playlist A, then switched to playlist B, then back to playlist A but a button can play it from the song where you previously switched

Johnzaki3

Okay, I’ll try to explain my idea here. Personally, I don’t like to make my own playlist, that’s why mainly I subscribed to Spotify premium. Because I adore the suggestion algorithm you use. But I don’t like repeating my music and here’s where my idea begins. (Side note: the only playlist I do myself is the Soundtracks I listen to at work).

When I am on my way to work in the morning, I like listen to a playlist called Morning Coffee. But when I get to work, I like to listen to Hanz Zimmer soundtracks all day (as a software developer). When I am done with my day, I like to listen to the suggested Pop Mix or Moody Mix. What I said was just fine. But what about the next day ??

The next day, I wanna pick up where I left off the morning coffee playlist, not shuffle it all over again. This is something that matters to me. I wanna continue yesterday’s shuffle (or “thread”).

when you say it as a thread, the idea makes more sense. 
I would like to have the option to resume yesterday’s thread of “Morning Coffee”, “Hanz Zimmer Soundtracks” or “Pop Mix” instead of shuffling all over again. 
I get that off course not everyone needs this feature. But it matters a lot, especially when you listen to soundtracks because personally i listen to them in order not as a shuffle so I can like listen to the track of an entire movie in order. But as soon as I am done with work today, I play another playlist and the nextday I don’t remember where I left off.

this can be an advanced feature to be toggled from Spotify settings.