Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Podcasts] Sort by Unplayed/Recently Updated

Currently, the only way to listen to unplayed podcasts on desktop is to open a phone and check the feed there, or check every podcast individually for new content. That's 100% unacceptable, and has been for years.

Give us a podcast view that we can sort / filter by unplayed episodes or recent uploads. If you want to be the industry leader in streaming, you can't ignore table-stakes functionality because of "100 kudos" horsesh*t.

Updated on 2021-06-14

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
shen_27

Ended up here as I tried to switch to Spotify for all my podcasts. Really shocked that this isn't a thing yet. In my other podcast app, its dead simple to look at all the new episodes from all my subscribeded podcasts in a list, then add the ones I want to a playlist (where they get automatically removed when I've listened to them). I thought Spotify was investing heavily in podcasts, but until they get serious about improving the UI (you know, the thing that users use most often to access your content), back to my old app I guess.

Just unbelievable they're willing to spend millions on content, but then completely ignore how people access that content. Its like building an amazing amusmant park for everyone to go to, then forgetting that a single lane dirt road is the only way for people to get to it.

manjarco

Pleaseeeeeeeee!

cjwilson1985

I'm honestly shocked at how terrible this is on the desktop, and then, when I assume "certainly this is something I'm missing, there has to be an answer for it somewhere there is no way Spotify would promote podcasts and have such a terrible interface on desktop..." I find this ticket.  Over two years...at least at the time of this writing. Unbelievable. 

RollinScratcher

I thought I was going slightly mad when I couldn't find the 'Latest Episodes' on the Windows desktop app. Then I found the reddit post about it and clearly I'm not going mad (from this anyway). I wanted to use Spotify as my main podcast player, as it works really well on the phone and on carplay. Why its not also a simple choice on the desktop under podcasts baffles me, and clearly a lot of other users too. Such a simple thing to fix, and a very easy win, but its clear for some reason heels are being dragged on it. This section of the community does not appear to be being listened to or it would be done. Come on sort it out and make a bunch of podcast listeners happy and make your platform better.  

cjwilson1985

Hey everybody! I hope you are having a pleasant holiday season.  Unfortunately I was unable to use my phone this morning to play podcasts so I found myself using the desktop app.  Made me think about this ticket that and the presumably easy update that Spotify could do yet chooses to focus their efforts elsewhere.  At least we have each other.  I think I am going to start a petition elsewhere and if that's the case I will update you.  Don't let this crummy design ruin your New Year and remember to drink plenty of water.

Funnelhead

Absolutely agree! This is the number one issue that I have with Spotify right now and I cannot believe that this hasn't been resolved yet. If a user isn't using Spotify on their phone, then the desktop version is essentially useless for the purpose of listening to podcasts as a result of this issue. All that needs to be done is provide a New Episodes list like there is in the phone app on the desktop app. Just baffling as to how this is still an issue!

jnebo

I've been posting to this thread since 2020.

Nobody reads these, ever. Spotify devs have their own agenda, and it has nothing to do with whatever we would like. You're just wasting time. Sorry.

Please update the the desktop app podcast section to include a "Recently Updated" option. I listen to a lot of pods and a "Recently Updated" option would be an awesome addition to the desktop app. Mobile already has it, can this feature make it to desktop?

Thanks! 

digitalmaestro

This is the single biggest feature I use on Spotify mobile. I need this on the desktop Mac app as well. 
Show me a list of my subscribed podcast episodes that I haven't listened to in order from most recent to least recent by release date and let me play them as a dynamic playlist. Thanks!

danstacy1

Another issue with Podcasts that is true with both the mobile and desktop versions is that you are unable to customize the order that the podcasts play. The solution that Spotify gives is to create a custom playlist but then you have to manually remove the podcast after it has played. There should be a better way to do this. It is simple enough that Apple, Google, and most other podcast providers have implemented this feature already. I should be able to add the podcasts to a podcast specific queue, be able to drag and drop the episodes if I desire, and finally, the podcast should automatically remove itself from the list once the episode has played. Very frustrating since I am paying for a premium membership for a service that is not up to standards. People have been asking for this feature for years yet it never gets addressed.