Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Popout player

I have seen this idea posted several times over the years and they are all marked closed. I personally find it really frustrating that people have clearly been asking for this and over and over been denied, especially because it seems like a rather simple feature. Anyway, on the web player on Chromebook, there is an excellent popout player that remains on top of other tabs and windows you open, has the album/song art and has simple controls like pause, play, skip, and rewind that show when you hover over it. You can also move it around your screen so you position it where is easiest for you. It's crazy to me that this feature hasn't been implemented already for the desktop application, or if it has then the fact that it's been removed. It's super annoying to have to stop what I'm in the middle of to open the Spotify window just to see what is playing, or to skip or save a song. Something with just the basics of these features would make a huge difference and make usability so much easier.

Updated on 2024-03-21

Hi everyone,

We're happy to let you all know that this feature has now been Implemented 😎 You can find all the details on the topic in this announcement post. You're welcome to post your thoughts and feedback there as well.

Cheers!

Comments
valdirljr

It's a basic feature... Spotify is taking to much time to implement this feature...

verzantgray

verzantgray

Spotify Hey what's wrong? It has been more than one year that this amazing and simple suggestion was given an so far it has not been implemented? know that music is playing without being to  the open player is a incredible feature that would surely bring a karger base of lesteners plataform, is there any update or forecast for this implementation? she already did not reach Kudos enough???

guabeff
I am agree this would be a great feature for users listening on computers
soni1919

Any update on this feature request please? I took it for granted this would be in the default application as it's a common feature in pc media players and has been for years now. 

It's a fairly simple feature but would make a huge difference to the user experience for many.

Duckofdeath

Ha! I just accidentally found a somewhat good workaround as Spotify are too lazy to implement this.

You need Spotify running on your mobile and have a notification sharing app running for your mobile to your PC.

I'm using Airdroid myself (it's free).

If Spotifty is running on your mobile it will automatically notify on the mobile what songs you play on the PC, as it technically works as a remote control for the PC app. Airdroid automatically shares that notification with the PC where the song is actually played on. 😄

Not perfect, but, better than nothing!

But please do add the actual notification option on the desktop app, Spotify!

EDIT: The joy was short-lived! 😞

Android auto-kills seemingly inactive running apps after a while when the screen is off. So, the notifications stops after about 10-15 minutes.

I will have to figure out if it's possible to force Spotify to keep running with the screen off....

fivossd

It's obvious why spotify doesn't want to implement this:

To see the name of the song that is currently playing, you have to open the spotify window, where a full screen ad is waiting (for a couple of seconds). I could see it being a premium feature though.

Quim_RochA

Apparently not even premium...

I've been using my phone as a miniplayer, but know i have other priorities and a simple pop-up/notification would be great.

Nickdoonan

A Winamp style notification for songs playing would be brill.

tombunyon

This feature is implemented in Spotify for Linux, so I wonder why they won't implement it in the Windows version.