Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Popout player

I have seen this idea posted several times over the years and they are all marked closed. I personally find it really frustrating that people have clearly been asking for this and over and over been denied, especially because it seems like a rather simple feature. Anyway, on the web player on Chromebook, there is an excellent popout player that remains on top of other tabs and windows you open, has the album/song art and has simple controls like pause, play, skip, and rewind that show when you hover over it. You can also move it around your screen so you position it where is easiest for you. It's crazy to me that this feature hasn't been implemented already for the desktop application, or if it has then the fact that it's been removed. It's super annoying to have to stop what I'm in the middle of to open the Spotify window just to see what is playing, or to skip or save a song. Something with just the basics of these features would make a huge difference and make usability so much easier.

Updated on 2024-03-21

Hi everyone,

We're happy to let you all know that this feature has now been Implemented 😎 You can find all the details on the topic in this announcement post. You're welcome to post your thoughts and feedback there as well.

Cheers!

Comments
itscarlayall

Hi, I'm also wondering where to find this option. Has it really been implemented? I can't find it in the Preferences section.

insomniacrocker

I am using the Windows 10 desktop app and this feature does not appear to be available. Am I missing it, or has it been removed?

Edit: I now see that when you say this idea has already been impelmented, you are referring to the desktop overlay that appears when using media keys. I would like to see an option for a toast notification when a new song begins playing, as described in this idea post - https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Toast-notification-with-current-song/idi-p/167...

El0h1m

Voted!

El0h1m

Would enjoy this feature when discovering new music.

oihantxu

Hej, do you plan on adding this feature to the mac os as well? 

iTunes already does it, so does soundcloud, it would be lovely to have it as well on Spotify so that I don't have to constantly switch between apps while listening to music.. 

Thank you!

dewey_decibel

+1 for this idea! iTunes does this and now that I use Spotify more than iTunes I want it to do it too!  Please add this in the next update. Thanks!

Choncie

Why the half-baked (half-toasted?) windows desktop implementation of this idea?

When you pause play / start play, there's a toast; when you skip forward / back, there's a toast. But when a song ends and a new one begins naturally, no toast. It doesn't make sense. It would also be nice to have a hotkey to show a toast on demand.

Pretty much any other music player can do these things natively (ie, without installing amateurish, ill-maintained plugins or apps that break after every spotify update). Can you please add that function to the desktop app? Thanks!

mactei

People like you are awesome.  Thanks!

Medeiros

Thank your very much for sharing with

JamesKing

-deleted-