Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Popout player

I have seen this idea posted several times over the years and they are all marked closed. I personally find it really frustrating that people have clearly been asking for this and over and over been denied, especially because it seems like a rather simple feature. Anyway, on the web player on Chromebook, there is an excellent popout player that remains on top of other tabs and windows you open, has the album/song art and has simple controls like pause, play, skip, and rewind that show when you hover over it. You can also move it around your screen so you position it where is easiest for you. It's crazy to me that this feature hasn't been implemented already for the desktop application, or if it has then the fact that it's been removed. It's super annoying to have to stop what I'm in the middle of to open the Spotify window just to see what is playing, or to skip or save a song. Something with just the basics of these features would make a huge difference and make usability so much easier.

Updated on 2024-03-21

Hi everyone,

We're happy to let you all know that this feature has now been Implemented 😎 You can find all the details on the topic in this announcement post. You're welcome to post your thoughts and feedback there as well.

Cheers!

Comments
shooin

For this reason, I am forced to play it on my phone. It seems so counterintuitive to have an app that plays music that takes up so much space. However, this idea has enough votes to put a couple of FTE on it and get it done. GO!

Thanks

Jason

Bailey3

I like to listen to music while I work, but sometimes if I have to leave my working screen to go to Spotify to look at something it gets too distracting.

It would be nice to just have a mini player in the corner of the screen where we can see what song is playing, the artist name, and be able to like the song to find it again later.

Hope we can see something like this soon!

raeyn

Such an important feature!! Would really love to see this. As people already said, this feature is such a basic feature for music players since it allows for convenient multitasking. I had this problem since I started using Spotify, but did not realise there was a community/idea/suggestions board. I'm sure others have encountered this need, but also like me didn't realise they can voice that need/idea. I think the fact that there are other apps like Toastify or Silico just provides more evidence that there are many users who want this. Please consider adding this!!!

robigouk

I really hope they add this to the Desktop player soon?  When they changed to the new Desktop player earlier this year they said it would be easier to maintain/bring updates to both Web Player (which has the mini player) and the Desktop - surely this can't be that hard for them to implement?

Timbru

Hey team Spotify,

please just do this. It's the right thing, you know it.

Andrékroon

Why isnt it here yet? it's been year.

I wanna see the album art and song name.

That's it.. none of this excessive cluttering of my screen.

Brownbob06

I literally got here by trying to figure out why I couldn't find the button for an obvious feature on a desktop music player.... How is something this simple not implemented?

esyo

Please... A simple mini-player helps massively with productivity without getting distracted.

patdaly

this would be so useful please spotify, working over RDP with a spotify mini player over the top  would be sweet

BrunoHV

I suggest lofi.rocks to everyone searching for the miniplayer feature. Ideally, Spotify should hire them and buy their application