Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Popout player

I have seen this idea posted several times over the years and they are all marked closed. I personally find it really frustrating that people have clearly been asking for this and over and over been denied, especially because it seems like a rather simple feature. Anyway, on the web player on Chromebook, there is an excellent popout player that remains on top of other tabs and windows you open, has the album/song art and has simple controls like pause, play, skip, and rewind that show when you hover over it. You can also move it around your screen so you position it where is easiest for you. It's crazy to me that this feature hasn't been implemented already for the desktop application, or if it has then the fact that it's been removed. It's super annoying to have to stop what I'm in the middle of to open the Spotify window just to see what is playing, or to skip or save a song. Something with just the basics of these features would make a huge difference and make usability so much easier.

Updated on 2020-10-20

Hi everyone!
Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.
We're marking this as a 'Good Idea'.
Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea. We'll continue to check out the comments here, too.
If there are any updates, we'll let you know.
Thanks

Top Answer
nielrio
Gig Goer

Hi!

While I was searching for an option for a mini player on windows 10, i found a solution. Since every topic I could find about this topic was locked for replying, so I figured I'd make a new one. The solution I found is as follows:

1. make sure you have chrome browser.
  2. Type windows key + R (run) and type 
    chrome --app="https://play.spotify.com"
    This will open the web player but like an app.
  3. Left at the bottom next to the song banner is this button:    Capture3.PNG   click this button.
  4. you get a floating mini player at the bottom right of your screen with the song banner, and when you hover over it with your mouse you can pause/play/previous/next.

Good luck and have a great day!

I added a batch file for easier use. Originally belongs to hydropulse17.

(edit: This does not work with Spotify connect)

(ps: lofi.rocks Thanks, WilcoBakker)

Comments
Marco

I just tried Toastify for Windows and it's awesome!

You get a little pop up that you can even customize (colors, time shown, transparency, etc).

With the newest version 1.6 and the easy fix from here it is finally always on top of other windows. Great little app - love it! 🙂

pokervane
pelipar

Any more news on this?? It can't be hard to do!

marcoagner

This would be great! Actually I posted the same idea two days ago but with different words (do I could not find it before) and it was marked as duplicated. 🙂

Hope this feature comes to production soon! 

wolflambert

If you use Windows, install Toastify, that does it. I use Linux and they're already there for me (don't know why they only implement it for Linux though, but it's cool). No clue about OS X; maybe there's an app for it. Edit: there is; http://spotify-notifications.citruspi.io/

VitorAngelo

Yea, we really need this, when I'm gaming sometimes I wanna know what is the actual track. It could appear when we pause/play music too.

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it

2015-01-26

We're here to say this idea is still active and still has the 'Good idea' status. Keep giving us feedback and we'll keep passing it on to the folks here at Spotfiy, thanks guys!

m_listed

I can't believe this isn't implemented yet. It has to be the simplest thing to code. There have been add-on applications that have been doing this for Spotify for years, and still nothing from the Spotify team.

Sarkasmos

Was coming here to submit the exact same idea, would love this!

vernade

I was searching the internet how to make Spotify display song titles in a popup or similar and came about this thread.

This would be a much appreciated feature, please consider adding it to Spotify!