[Desktop] Reduce wasted Screen Space

Dear Spotify,

please reduce wasted screen real estate in the desktop client. Right now, there is too much wasted space that could have been leveraged.

Here are my main gripes:

Legend:

1: I admit that there is not too much you can fill this area with, but you could move the menu bar and the window title there. Now, two "lines" are essentially lost.

2: Fill this area with information and statistics. And for God's sake, why do you not let users add descriptions to their playlists? Partners and labels can, so why can't we?

3: Why did you add this space? I see no logic behind it. And the play button that appears when you hover over a list item is completely unnecessary. Just double click. It's much faster, as you don't have to move the mouse to that tiny little are on the screen. And if people don't know that they can double click to play a song, they should not be using a computer. All major OS' use double clicking for various tasks.

4: There is absolutely no reasy why this space should be there!

5: Reduce the space between people in the activity feed, so that you can see more of them!

6: Reduce the space between list items. It might be easier on the eyes if there is a large amount of line spacing, but it makes for a tedious and inconvenient browsing experience.

spotify wasted space.jpg

My suggestion for the UI:

UI suggestion.jpg

(Some line spaces are uneven, because I used Photoshop.)

Thanks,

Truls Bekk

Updated: 2015-04-16

Hey everyone, as this idea has reached 100 kudos we're giving it a status update. Please continue to leave your feedback here. Thanks!

Comments
Taylor
Community Legend
Status changed to: New Idea

Technically this has already been submitted, but this applies to the new version so I'll mark this as new.

Anthony

P.S. Excellent choice of song to be listening to :P

albumslide
Music Fan
I can only second this.
___Michael___
Music Fan

Glad I'm not the only one to notice.  Perhaps, take some design cues from Firefox or Chrome, Spotify.

olli408
Regular

after the new update I quickly downgraded to 0.8.3 (wich is much better in terms of wastefullness),  I'll upgrade again when the interface is less wastefull, and folder view is back, and when you can disable volume normalization, and when you can search within a playlist.

Darra

This please. Also you could make it that you could collapse and expand the "Main", "Your Music" and maybe even "Playlist" columns.

jonwilt
Gig Goer

Last one.

Does anyone else agree Spotify are masters of wasting space. I will attach some example of what I mean but basically I think they leave huge expanses of blank space caused by there design. This is exacerbated by using a mixture of large and tiny text and large and tiny icons. If you compare to I tunes, by no means perfect but it does make better use of limited space and is far more versatile. 

I would suggest minimising the the header and footer of the page to give users more browsing space, and decreasing the size of album art. A small change can go a long way i think 

wasted space.jpg
jonwilt
Gig Goer

wasted space 3.png

sunsu
Casual Listener

And if it's to be that space, fill up with cool options. I think there are plenty of them you can add

Community Manager
Community Manager
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it
Updated: 2015-04-16

Hey everyone, as this idea has reached 100 kudos we're giving it a status update. Please continue to leave your feedback here. Thanks!

Streck0
Roadie

I have the impression that they wanted to make the UI more touch friendly. A while ago the whole computer and IT industry had somehow deluded themselves into thinking that touch screens are the future, not only for tablets but also on laptops and desktops (-> Ultrabook specification). But if Windows 8 has shown the world one thing, it's that keyboard and mouse/touchpad are here to stay for a while longer. Unfortunately, the development of Spotify 1.x fell into this delusional period.