[Desktop] Reduce wasted Screen Space

Dear Spotify,

please reduce wasted screen real estate in the desktop client. Right now, there is too much wasted space that could have been leveraged.

Here are my main gripes:

Legend:

1: I admit that there is not too much you can fill this area with, but you could move the menu bar and the window title there. Now, two "lines" are essentially lost.

2: Fill this area with information and statistics. And for God's sake, why do you not let users add descriptions to their playlists? Partners and labels can, so why can't we?

3: Why did you add this space? I see no logic behind it. And the play button that appears when you hover over a list item is completely unnecessary. Just double click. It's much faster, as you don't have to move the mouse to that tiny little are on the screen. And if people don't know that they can double click to play a song, they should not be using a computer. All major OS' use double clicking for various tasks.

4: There is absolutely no reasy why this space should be there!

5: Reduce the space between people in the activity feed, so that you can see more of them!

6: Reduce the space between list items. It might be easier on the eyes if there is a large amount of line spacing, but it makes for a tedious and inconvenient browsing experience.

spotify wasted space.jpg

My suggestion for the UI:

UI suggestion.jpg

(Some line spaces are uneven, because I used Photoshop.)

Thanks,

Truls Bekk

Updated: 2015-04-16

Hey everyone, as this idea has reached 100 kudos we're giving it a status update. Please continue to leave your feedback here. Thanks!

Comments
Ryooo

Here's how it looks like on my relatively small laptop screen (1366*768px)

So much wasted space there :/

Spotify

JDybeck

I'd love to be able to see who is following playlists.

MichaelTheDude
Casual Listener

Nope. I think if the desktop app change to the style you suggested, it will be much harder to read information on the screen, because they're too close to each other.

JDybeck

I think that if they were to make everything look so small and compressed, MichaelTheDude is correct. However, OP is right about it having a lot of unused space. As it looks like now, I'm okay with the design, but some functions that were taken away in the last update should come back, like pressing a letter or forming a word to search for songs in playlists. Even if they want to make it more tablet friendly, that feature doesn't take away from that since they don't even have a keyboard except when searching in spotify. 

Descriptions would be a nice feature or at the very least be able to tag playlists with genres and defining features of the playlist. But have a limited tags per playlist. like 3 or 5. 

And for being able to see who is following your playlist, it would literally just be like it was a few years ago, but without pictures of the people following unless you open a new tab by clicking the "Followers: #" that is already there but is only a number indicator.

backtim8r
Regular

I am sorry, but I hate the suggested screenshot. Spotify should keep the UI open like it is. It feels great on my touchscreen notebook. I think it looks great the way it is.

As a compromise, they should consider a density opiton like in G-Mail. But please, please, please not like in the screenshot. 

PunaniLicker

This is a great idea. I don't how it doesn't have more kudos. I feel like the space isn't being used properly, Everything is so spaced out that I feel like i'm using a firefly phone. Condense everything like shown in the picture or atleast make it an option to. I feel that the current ai is more equipped for a tablet than a computer.

Rodrigo
Community Legend

Wasting less space is a great idea, but please don't change the sidebar. It's cluttered enough as it currently is. Otherwise yep, this is a nice suggestion!

dweynlovessptfy
Roadie

Let's just all use the Zoom-in and Zoom-Out feature while they are still not thinking about implementing it.

leonardop1

I agree with you. That button for New playlists is too big too

Heroprotag

If you implement this "Squished" ui please make it a switch in the options. iTunes does it.