Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop][Search] Return Search bar to main screen

The Search bar was recently shifted to the scroll menu on the side (Windows Desktop Client), however, I cannot see why.

The Search bar is such an essential feature, which needs quick access at any time. With its new position, I have to click the scroll menu on the side first in order to scroll right to the top, just to click the extra Search option.

When I for example create a new playlist and browse through the artists´ pages to find the fitting songs, I can not simply drag and drop the song without scrolling down the long list until i reach my playlist. Then I have to scroll all the way up again to enter a new artist into the Search bar.
This just seems unnecessarily complicated and counterintuitive.

It´s not that the space was filled with something more important anyway (not that there are much more important things than the essential Search feature)... it´s just a blank space now.

I would really appreciate it if you moved the Search bar back to its previous position at the top of the main section, no matter whether it was a band page, playlist or anything else. It could still unfold into its extra screen (like it does now) when clicking it but the position has to be easily accessible at any time.

IMG_20190324_151234[1].jpg

Updated on 2023-03-30

Hey everyone,

It seems that this idea ended up in the wrong board accidentally, so we're bringing it back.

We're keeping the previous Not Right Now status, as we don't have any immediate plans to implement this. As soon as we have any new information to share, rest assured we'll check back in here.

Take care.

Comments
Dragorak

Please put back the search bar at the top accessible from any page! Clicking the search button on the left is an extra step and is annoying. 

The rest of the UI change is cool though! 🙂

Pandavid

Not sure maybe i am the only one who likes to randomly switch to a song i suddenly in a mood for while i'm on my main playlist. I do love the new look for the desktop app, but i find that having to click search and then search is a bit more work even though i know it probably just takes a second longer, it just feels not as intuitive. Maybe I will get used to it. But I thought you could maybe have just an option to have it? I'm all for change but it's like hamburger menus on desktop websites, sometimes its just making people click a bit more just to get where they want to go, I know it's cleaner, but not sure if it's friendly.

Just a thought. Thanks for reading my rant. That is all.

You rock, don't ever change... except maybe change the app to have the search bar back 🙂 

Barriie

I know that this has already been marked as a case closed here:

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Desktop-Search-Return-Search-bar-to-main-screen/idi-p/...

But I still want to ask to bring back the search bar on the Desktop Client.

You already have the breadcrumps on every page, and when I click on the Search Button the Search bar just gets added to it.

Barriie_2-1620326460011.png

On (almost) every other page, its just blank

Barriie_3-1620326632795.png

Couldn't you just do this by default for every page?

Like this:

Barriie_0-1620327217016.png

As it was before

I get that this change is because of the web client, but then why have the Windows client? Or are you going to remove the Windows client in the (near) future?

Thank you.

agente_naranja

Agree 100%. I don't care if this has been marked as case closed, I think this was a very dumb idea. On almost every page, there's just an unused empty space that used to house the search bar. Now it's gone. 

At least give people the option to put the search box there if they want to. It's so annoying having to click the Search link on the left sidebar. 

Frank164

So much this!

Imaging going to google.com and then have an extra click to get to the search bar. You dont even have to go to the search engines site,  you can just use the address bar.

Easy convenient access to the search bar is a goog thing, please put the search bar back on top of all pages.

brokencmd

Can you please reconsider the search bar change and restore the search bar to the home tab?

I don't get why it needs to be in its own tab when it's much more easily accessible and visible next to the forward/back arrows on the home tab.

After the recent update it always takes me extra effort to locate the search functionality.

jrham

Spotify keeps closing this idea topic, yet new ideas keep coming up from new users daily/weekly because we are finding it to be annoying. Even if its the same number of clicks to initiate the search, its not less clicks at the end of the day to get back to where you were before you started the search. 

With a global search bar (where it used to be), you will never have to leave the page you were on in the first place. Spotify, please respond to this! Was this updated feature of taking us away from what we are looking at for people to discover new things? Ok, that's fine...but how about we change the name of the "search" tab to the "browse" tab? When we are "searching" for something, we already know what you are looking for, so why not separate those two very different categories?

sithmith

This was a really weird choice by the design team.

JoeSargent

I concur, recently I noted that you removed the search bar from the home screen,

This slows down my ability to search for new music and interrupts my workflow. I've used Spotify for a very long time now, I've always been able to search for music at the top of the screen, it was so fast!

It now takes an extra click, this doesn't seem like much but over the year,  cumulatively, this will be a very long time. 
I think you've probably done it to give visibility to the "search screen feature", but honestly I'd prefer it if you incorporated that into the home screen.

I do feel like you've just changed something rather than improved it. 

tapenoon

I am pretty sure I am not misremembering but in the old UI when you clicked on the search bar on top of the page clicking wouldn't take you away from wherever you were in the app but as soon as you started typing the first letter a new page would open and would navigate you away from the previous view. isn't this exactly the same behavior as now? anyway, I wouldn't mind the return of the search bar on top of the app (although I am pretty used to the change by now) but I see people mentioning this all the time and I wonder whether or not I am misremembering the previous search bar behavior.