Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Desktop] Support Notifications on Mac

I would appreciate it if Spotify on macOS could support desktop notifications (current song etc.) via Apple's Notification Center.

This is  basic functionality that's provided by almost every other Mac app I can think of. Spotify has offered it in the past, and indeed there's still a zombie preference setting ("Show dekstop notifications when the song changes"). I'm irritated at not having something as simple as notifications, and I feel insulted by a preference setting that doesn't work.

I'm proposing this here because it seems to have been last raised as an Idea in 2012 and set to Not Right Now status in 2019. That was a long time ago. This Idea is therefore a follow-up to this more recent discussion on the subject. Mod MafeG invited us to raise the issue on the Idea Exchange, so that's what I've done.

Updated on 2021-12-21

Hey everyone,

Thanks for bringing us your feedback in the Spotify Idea Exchange.

Your suggestion has gathered the votes necessary and your feedback is now reaching the internal teams at Spotify. They're aware of the vote count and popularity of this idea. We'll continue to monitor and check out the comments here, too.

As soon as we have any updates on its status, we'll let you know.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Comments
ninevehta

Already upvoted, but I'm also commenting in support of this idea! It's been bothering me for a while now that there is no "currently playing" desktop notification. I really hope we get it back.

vxna

This is the only thing that stopping me from using Spotify on macOS. Bring it back please!

mareshq

Yes please! I need this, I don't know the name of any of the songs I listen to because I always start an album or a playlist and it just keeps playing without me seeing the name of the songs

Judge1964

Oh man, I would love this. I listen to Spotify on Mac constantly. This is a feature I grew to love on Apple Music, and now I sorely miss it. 

Kevinhoang

Any movement on this? I transitioned from Windows to macOS and this is a much-needed feature.

jacobdavidc

Yes please! It would help me enjoy the app better to not have to switch between windows constantly to see what's playing as I'm working on something else AND trying to scout for new songs.

LonghornLumboo

It seems like this is a pretty basic feature. Right now I have to use a 3rd party app for notifications and it doesn't always work correctly. Please bring this feature back!

dpsk

Please, add notifications!

quinndo

I miss the notification popup of Spotify on Windows. Just switched to MacOs, and it is gone. Considering switching to Apple music too if Spotify does not support it

yarvolk

Hello. When notifications feature is coming back to Spotify on Mac OS? Will it be 2030 or 2040? Am I still going to witness this miracle?