Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Your Music] Make 'Your Music' offline on Desktop

This is a follow up of the idea: Ability to make "Your Music" offline

The issue is that on the desktop client, you cannot save music from "Your Library" offline at all, you must create a playlist.

e.g.

Spotify Desktop (Your Music)

Notice that there's no way to make that particular album in "Your Music" available offline.

Yet on my Android client, I see a Download option near this album to make it available Offline:

Android (Your Music)

The only items that present such an option on the desktop client are playlists as shown below:

Desktop (Playlists)

On iTunes (Apple Music) however, I can make anything available offline on my desktop:

iTunes (My Music)

This for me is the biggest problem with Spotify and why I'm currently an Apple Music subscriber.  In general, the desktop client lags behind features on the mobile clients which are actually far better.

There are many more examples of differences that I can demonstrate, but this is the most important.

The ability to make My Music available offline on mobiles appeared more than a year ago.  Can we please have this and further differences addressed on the desktop client soon?

Thanks!

Fotis

Updated on 2021-07-07

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this feature is now available on Desktop. You can now download not only playlists, but also albums and podcast episodes by clicking on the download icon so that it turns green Mihail_0-1625666628944.png

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
Mephistopelus

The lack of this feature in 2017 shows a near complete disregard for the desktop by Spotify. What a darn disappointment.

Any update on this ?

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it
Updated: 2017-01-17

Hey everyone! We also would like to see the ability to have Your Music offline on your Desktop app. We don't have a timeline for if or when this will happen, so we're just going to keep this status at "Good Idea". So as long this continues to grow with votes and comments we'll keep reporting your feedback to the Desktop team. Thanks!

YamUrbina

Although it is good to head an update... do you realize this is a simple button? We are not asking for the next killer feature, it's just a darn download button.

emeralda p.png

Just take a look, is this premium?

And no I won't create a playlist, I already have lots and the mobile aplication already has this download feature so its just a playlist of duplicated songs of my library.

No one asked for the daily mix feature, no one asked to remove the notification bell, yet spotify did it. So what is the point of this forum? 

logravity

Hopefully the "Desktop team" will find the time to copy those couple of lines of code into the desktop application, now that the status has been promoted from "We don't give a darn for a year" to "Good idea". One would think ideas are new, interesting thoughts, however this is a long existing feature, so it is an embarasseing illogicality to say the least. Go Desktop team!

repentsinner

Hate to break it to you @logravity, but an issue status of 'good idea' seems to mean 'not actively doing the opposite just to spite you, but also definitely not considering doing the thing' in Spotify-speak 😞

jsonp

I re-joined Spotify after a few years. I'm obviously unable to use a trial so I just paid the $10. You still haven't given us a way to download albums like we do mobile, we still can't change themes and still can't block explicit tracks. I'm definitely not joining agian. I'm going back to Google Play Music.

tomasdfb

I am so sure that I once had this feature for my whole music collection in the past year, for quite a while. Maybe I was wrong? I'm in New Zealand btw

sinewave_cl

I think that developers are not reading this anymore. The last "Ideas review" whas done in July 2016. https://community.spotify.com/t5/Spotify-Community-Blog/Monthly-Ideas-Review-July-2016/ba-p/1412203

It should be done monthly.

pedromartinez

I pay premium and thought this feature was included.  It's 2017 and the Spotify team have no intention of implementing it. I'll check for competing services that have it.