Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Your Music] Make 'Your Music' offline on Desktop

This is a follow up of the idea: Ability to make "Your Music" offline

The issue is that on the desktop client, you cannot save music from "Your Library" offline at all, you must create a playlist.

e.g.

Spotify Desktop (Your Music)

Notice that there's no way to make that particular album in "Your Music" available offline.

Yet on my Android client, I see a Download option near this album to make it available Offline:

Android (Your Music)

The only items that present such an option on the desktop client are playlists as shown below:

Desktop (Playlists)

On iTunes (Apple Music) however, I can make anything available offline on my desktop:

iTunes (My Music)

This for me is the biggest problem with Spotify and why I'm currently an Apple Music subscriber.  In general, the desktop client lags behind features on the mobile clients which are actually far better.

There are many more examples of differences that I can demonstrate, but this is the most important.

The ability to make My Music available offline on mobiles appeared more than a year ago.  Can we please have this and further differences addressed on the desktop client soon?

Thanks!

Fotis

Updated on 2021-07-07

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that this feature is now available on Desktop. You can now download not only playlists, but also albums and podcast episodes by clicking on the download icon so that it turns green Mihail_0-1625666628944.png

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community.

Comments
Marco
Status changed to: Up for Votes

Updated: 2015-10-20

Marked as new idea.
This idea will focus on the ability to make Your Music offline for the Desktop version since it has already been implemented on the mobile apps.

To make it fair we've added 200 kudos from the original idea. 😉

Frothalopolis

I'm baffled that this isn't implemented already. Was going insane wondering why I couldn't listen to music when I didn't have internet -- I was thinking "SURELY there's a switch I'm missing" (like on iOS).

Good to see they're aware of it -- For what it's worth, I use Spotify on a Mac.

Thanks!

dksanbg

This feature is so essential I seriously thought something was wrong with my version of spotify before finding out it's actually missing. DO. IT. NOW!

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it
Updated: 2015-11-05

Hey folks, we do agree the ability to have Your Music offline on your desktop app is a good idea. We will update you here as soon as we have any news about this feature coming to desktop. Thanks for coming to the Community with your feedback!

6ski9

yes KUDOS

would make it easier to make my songs offline ready; rather than clicking on every playlist ive made.

🤔though im sure they used to have this ages ago...

Zephyr

It took them almost a year to implement offline support for "Your Music" on mobile, and yet a year and a half later they still haven't been able to do the same for the desktop, but only now think it's a "good idea".

And the reason for that sudden new focus is clearly because Starred is now being forcefully removed and 'replaced' by Songs, a section still so functionally and visually inferior to a playlist it makes me question if they actually have any product managers over at Spotify who actually knows the product they're selling. Deplorable.

fgimian

Thanks everyone and Spotify crew for your support and adding the 200 kudos.  I'm currently subscribed to both Spotify and Apple Music and honestly, this feature would likely make me ditch Apple Music.  The Spotify desktop client needs love and careful alignment with the mobile apps.  You have the potential to make Spotify the perfect streaming service, and you're like 95% there already! 🙂

I am a part of the 1% who do not own smartphones, so I function almost exclusively by the desktop app for Spotify. I also have an extensive My Music collection; I don't mess with playlists really. This all adds up to one conclusion - I NEED to be able to make My Music available offline. Right now, the offline function benefits me almost not at all. This seems like an obvious problem. I love Spotify and only use it for my music listening. This one feature will seriously make Premium amazing. Help a brother out.

nitramwin

Yes! Please make this happen. Quite frustrating that the apps are so different across the platforms...

wamatty81

Wow, I'm glad I checked this out...I havent bought premium, and won't until the desktop interface is updated and songs made offline are available.

You want my business? Then get your product offfering up to scratch and at least equal to the competition. Simple.