[Discover] Create personalized Genre playlists

Do you ever want to listen to new music or a new genre but just don’t know where to begin? So I was thinking what if, On the browsing section, when you click on a specific genre, instead of it only having infinite playlists to choose from, you had a minimized “You Might Like” section right under the genre’s title page, the other playlists would follow right under it. The “You Might Like” playlist would consist of music that you might appeal to, said songs would be generated by the music you’ve liked thru your subscription. Just like “Discover Weekly” but this playlist would be more Genre influenced than so.

Updated on 2020-04-11

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea - we've also edited slightly the title of your idea to make your suggestion more clear to other users.

There's also this idea that you might like to support as well.

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Comments
Status changed to: Need more information

Updated on 2020-04-03

Hey @Edtomic,

Thanks for submitting your suggestion to the Idea Exchange!

Just to clarify, would the playlist itself be called "You Might Like", or just the section under which it appears in the specific genre?

As a side-note, I thought I might add that "You Might Like" sounds more like a recommendation for an existing playlist which is available to all users, rather than a playlist which is made specifically made for you and based on your listening habits. 

Thanks - keep us posted!

Casual Listener

@peter, thank you for your response. The playlist would not have to be called “You Might Like”. I chose the phrase for a lack of a better name, but helpful to make my point across.

The idea, I believe, would help people have a new perspective and not feel so pressured when it comes to the idea of listening to new genres. 

Hey again @Edtomic,

Thanks for getting back in touch with these details!

Just to confirm, would these playlists be different from playlists on each genre that allows you to get started with some classics or essentials to the genre?

For example, if you haven't listened to Blues before, when tapping on the genre, one of the first results would be a playlist with all the classics to help get you started: spotify:playlist:37i9dQZF1DXd9rSDyQguIk 

It's also possible to start a genre radio and influence the tracks you see.

We'll be keeping an eye out for your reply, thanks 🙂

Casual Listener

@Katerina, 

thank you for responding. To answer your question, yes. They would differ from essential playlists because the so called “you might like” playlist would use the same algorithm “Made for you” uses but for each genre separately. So instead of purely essentials & classics it would include songs from any decade & any artist in said genre that would appeal to your taste in music today and help you develop a taste for it and allow you to settle into the genre with more ease and less turbulence. 

I hope that answered your question, if you have anymore questions, please be sure to contact. I’d love to see this idea come to fruition. 

best wishes, stay healthy. 🙂

Hey again @Edtomic,

Thanks for getting back and clarifying this!

It might be a good idea updating the description of your idea to include them - this way, it will be clearer for other users who also want to show their support.

In the meanwhile, we'll go ahead and update the status of your idea.

Take care 🙂

Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2020-04-11

Hello and thanks for bringing your feedback to the Idea Exchange. We've marked this as a new idea - we've also edited slightly the title of your idea to make your suggestion more clear to other users.

There's also this idea that you might like to support as well.

Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes. More information about how the Spotify Idea Exchange works can be found here.

Regular

This would be awesome and would solve the problem of my Discover Weekly being populated by a bunch of classical music (which I like, but it's individual rando movements out of order - classical music needs to be listened to with the movements of the same piece in order and together as the whole work - not going to work the way Spotify treats it!).