Announcements

[Discover] Emotes and user reactions 🤠

Hi, my name’s Miyaz Ehsan and I used to be a product manager. I noticed a deeper level to song reaction options could help users track and express their relationships with songs & artists in new ways, whilst creating interesting data value.

Emotes as quick ‘react’ options could encourage users to respond with how a song made them feel aside from just ‘a like’ or ‘add to playlist’. A set of emotes - e.g. happiness, sadness, determination etc - offer new and easy ways for users to engage with playlist creation by making it easy to directly relate their emotional connections to songs. Users could find it valuable and powerful to know what songs make them feel certain emotions - this process can be easier and more engaging than standard playlist creation. This function could also be used for other purposes, perhaps as a ‘quick tag’. It’s interesting to think if users would enjoy choosing their own handful of ‘tags’/‘emotes’. I think it would be interesting to see the competitive impact of an exclusive product that makes it easy for users to directly relate their emotional connections to each song and use it for their future benefit. 

It’s also possible that better understanding the user can help artists and, most definitely, Spotify discovery features. Beyond emotes and tags, user responses to feedback questions tailored by artists for their songs could offer data value. For example, “____ wants to ask you: should I do more collaborations with the featuring artist on this song?(Y/N)” - how much would an artist value feedback from their fans through a channel that turns feedback into data insights? A user experience like this seems relevantly placed after a user shows vested interest into a song (after a ‘like’, an ‘add to playlist’).

If this product interests you to deliver, and if it’s worthwhile arranging something, I might be able to find the time to help with any implementation. I look forward to hearing back. 

Updated on 2020-12-11

Hey @MiyazEhsan,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

This sounds like a repost of an older idea we had here.

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new idea. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

Comments
mlidbo
Roadie

This is one of many things that you could do if Spotify supported tagging songs. And spotify could certainly provide a UI for quickly and simply adding mood/feelings tags. If this is implemented, please implement it using tags and allow users to add other tags than only feelings. So that I can create a dynamic playlist something like

Name: Happy upbeat party songs 

Filter: +tag:happy +tag:party -tag:slow

Which would play all my happy party songs but exclude songs I tagged as slow. Tagging is incredibly powerful and useful. I'd love to see it implemented.

[Edit: I absolutely support implementing this even if Spotify does not fix the duplicates problem. In no way is this comment meant to imply differently. It would be very useful even without that fix.]

Also: However it is implemented, for this feature to work truly reliably, Spotify needs to solve the problem with the countless duplicates of songs and albums that Spotify fails to understand and treat as duplicates. Otherwise you will have to do this time and time and time again for different versions of the same song. The song will come up in radios and playlists and you will check your mood/tags, perhaps intending to add one, and wth. No tags. Because to spotify it's a different song. Sooner or later, for many of your songs you'll have mooded/tagged  many versions of the same song with several different sets of moods/tags. Not exactly great.

There is a suggestion for how to fix that here: [All Platforms][Your Library] Crowdsource the duplicate album and song problem I suggest you go vote for it if you ever want this feature implemented so that it actually works reliably. 

Elena
Status changed to: New Idea

Updated on 2020-12-11

Hey @MiyazEhsan,

Thanks for submitting your idea to the Idea Exchange!

This sounds like a repost of an older idea we had here.

We've gone ahead and marked this as a new idea. Spotify Staff will look into this idea once it reaches the necessary amount of votes.

More info on how your feedback reaches Spotify via the Idea Exchange can be found here.

Cheers!

ckmaier

From a user experience this would be awesome. It also seems like it has the potential to create a lot of data value for Spotify.

fazolando

I love it! This would also make users listen more actively and with more awareness of their music taste. 

illya
Regular

Right now I use playlists for this, but it's pretty arduous to go through my massive list of playlists multiple times per song to properly tag it. tbh, a text field would be the best!

KAIFAN

PLS ADD MMMH BY KAI TO YOUR POPULAR PLAYLISTS

Related Ideas