Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Exclude selected Playlists from Taste Profile and Discover Suggestions

I play music off Spotify for my bubba to fall asleep to. This is typically classical/meditative relaxing style tracks. Since she sleeps 4 times a day this type of music is getting a LOT of playtime but is not representative of my music taste. I'm finding my Discover Weekly (which I LOVE by the way) is moving more away from my music and more towards the classical/chill out stuff I play for the little one. 

Would be super cool to be able to mark a playlist to exclude it from the Discover algorithm.

Thanks!

Updated on 2023-02-09

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that Exclude from Taste Profile feature is now available on all platforms. There's more info about the topic in our Newsroom Article. 

If you'd like to give it a try right now, follow the steps below:

1. Select the playlist of your choice. 
  2. Tap the three dots near the top of the playlist.
  3. Select “Exclude from your Taste Profile.”

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community 🙂 

Comments
havreringar

My Discover Weekly are USELESS (for all the already listed reasons).

C'mon Spotify, there are some many people that have the same issue! At least get back to where you are with this?

Has anyone got any response from Spotify since they seem to ignore all the requests here?

Therealticey

I have tweeted this post to @spotifycares asking them to look into it.  

Let’s see if Spotify actually cares at all.....

benjlai

Non-Official Status Update: 

Hi Guys,

Since we weren't having much luck getting I thought I would try a more direct approach and I emailed Oskar the "VP of Personalization" to draw his attention to this issue.  He most kindly replied:

Hello Ben,

Thanks for your note. We do indeed want to explore features to help users exclude plays from the recommendation logic. We've explored various approaches and I recently tested one approach that I liked. I'm not making any promises but I hope we will be able to do something about this.

Best Oskar

Regards,

Ben.

Magic_13ananas

Maybe something as simple as a toggle (like the download one) on every playlist you look at, listen to, follow or create to say “my taste”.

On results in the listening of that playlist being included in your taste algorithm.

Off results in it NOT being included.

Default is off for all playlists not created by you. On when you follow a playlist. On for any playlist you create. Can be switched at any time.

jgarbers

Maybe an approach that might be a bit more complex, but surely more useful: let me choose a "context" for listening, and make and update recommendations based on context. So if I play five different playlists or albums at bedtime, as long as I'm playing them in the "bedtime" context, I'll get nice sleepy recommendations specifically when I choose that context. But those selections wouldn't affect the default "general" context, or others (like maybe a "high energy" context for workouts or parties).

Spotify could establish a small set of default contexts, and maybe let users add their own. On an Alexa device or similar, maybe you'd have a default context for that device - the bedroom Echo is on "bedtime" by default, etc.

The key idea here is that we listen to music for different reasons and in different situations, especially as we get it on more devices in different places. And dumping all of those experiences into a single bucket loses a lot of important context for making a recommendation.

After adopting a dog and using my Spotify account to play music to keep him calm when we're not home, Spotify as a service to discover new music has become almost useless to me. I'm considering just cancelling my subscription. This feature is a MUST.

jakoblee

The idea of a switch is great, and is how I envisioned it as well. At first, I thought it could simply be called "private mode" since it was suggested to turn on private mode when you don't want your listening to affect the taste algorithm. However, I recently read from someone that that actually doesn't work. So maybe the switch could be called "exclude".

I really did like the idea of curating for different moods or modes. My version of chill music is different from someone elses, my version of hype music is different, my version of "romantic" music is different, my version of work music is different. These are all types of moods/modes that barely ever intersect. It would make perfect sense for Spotify to want to learn what we want to hear, when we want to hear it, and WHY we want to hear it.

benhankins

I've suggested this idea as well and been forwarded here! Hopefully it gets some uptake:)

ChaldeanPilgrim
To be honest - I’ve been watching this suggestion for years now.. with no movement. So don’t hold your breath !
theAuoraBeam
I mean. Thanks??? xxD
Spotify will never do anything if enough people don't complain about it lol.