Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Exclude selected Playlists from Taste Profile and Discover Suggestions

I play music off Spotify for my bubba to fall asleep to. This is typically classical/meditative relaxing style tracks. Since she sleeps 4 times a day this type of music is getting a LOT of playtime but is not representative of my music taste. I'm finding my Discover Weekly (which I LOVE by the way) is moving more away from my music and more towards the classical/chill out stuff I play for the little one. 

Would be super cool to be able to mark a playlist to exclude it from the Discover algorithm.

Thanks!

Updated on 2023-02-09

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that Exclude from Taste Profile feature is now available on all platforms. There's more info about the topic in our Newsroom Article. 

If you'd like to give it a try right now, follow the steps below:

1. Select the playlist of your choice. 
  2. Tap the three dots near the top of the playlist.
  3. Select “Exclude from your Taste Profile.”

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community 🙂 

Comments
ChaldeanPilgrim
Yep - it’s good people are still pushing the issue.
Goodman
Status changed to: Not Right Now

Updated on 2020-01-23

Hey folks,
Thanks for coming to the Community.
We'd recommend checking out Private ListeningAnything you listen to in a Private Session may not influence your music recommendations, e.g. Discover Weekly.
In terms of this idea specifically, "Exclude selected Playlists from Taste Profile and Discover Suggestions" we're setting this to 'Not Right Now'.
This isn't something we have any immediate plans to implement.
If we do have any new info to share, rest assured we'll check back in here with a new status.
Thanks.

darthdisco

Response to the Community Manager:

As a company that finds great value in building detailed profiles of people and their music listening habits and tastes, I'm unsure why this particular feature request isn't resonating with the Product team as something that will enhance the quality of those profiles? And given the volume of feedback the company has received from dedicated subscribers (enough to take the time to post and comment), the explanation for why Spotify has labeled this request "Not Right Now" seems lacking. Is it because proposed solutions might cause confusion with users? Is it because it would encourage less Family subscriptions? On behalf of the community, I would ask for more specificity on the rationale for why this request shouldn't be investigated further for potential development. Thanks.

Therealticey

This is not an acceptable answer.  Private Listening does not work with any smart speaker.  This issue needs addressing as a matter of urgency.  

not the right way to treat your customers, this is appalling behaviour.   So many people want this and need it.  

IMPLEMENT IT ASAP

pprune

This is not an especially helpful suggestion. I suspect most if not all of the people on this thread have already trashed their discover algorithms and are simply trying to find a way to make this useful again.

And if you use long playlists often. Such as a sleep playlists, forget to go rummaging in the settings to turn on private mode once... And your discover algorithm is trashed. 

There is no way to recover or reset your taste profile once that has happened.

So you are basically telling us you have no intention of closing the hole in your feature set that allows users to destroy the usefulness of your apps core functionality through simply using them. 👌🏼

Please reconsider this. Pls....

Using private mode every single day is super impractical.

jannas

Reiterating what others have said before, the private listening setting is hard to find and even harder to remember to do before you start listening. In addition to that, smart speakers! Seriously.

The ideal situation would be the ability to select, on a playlists level, to always exclude it from algorithms. 

This thread has been actively contributed to for years. Your customers want to make use of the things that make spotify great, but you're making it very hard. If you prefer your customers to use other apps instead, carry on. 

Therealticey

As I’ve posted before, this is shocking behaviour from Spotify.  

You are dead right, customers want it.  They really want it and it’s puts on the back burner forever.  

Therealticey

So this morning I open up an email titled “Get a playlist for you and your pet”

Spotify spend money developing music for cats and dogs (who don’t pay subscriptions and probably don’t care anyway) but won’t develop a solution to stop trashing AI playlists.  

does the new pet playlist trash your Discover Weekly and On Repeat too???

darthdisco

Community: We love Spotify and use it daily, but can you let us control which playlists are used for recommendations?

Spotify: Not Right Now

Product Team: What do guys think about Playlists for Pets?

Spotify: That's the kind of innovative thinking we're talking about! Deploy it immediately!

Seriously, folks. This isn't very complicated. Add a toggle button to the Create New Playlist modal with an option to "Exclude this playlist from recommendations?" and call it a day. It's disabled by default, but if a user is inclined enough, they will turn it on. Add the same setting to existing playlists so users can modify it on those previously created. Whether that playlist is used on a computer, mobile phone, or smart speaker, none of the tracks played within factor in the AI's recommendations. How that option plays out for curated playlists or radio stations can be a later phase, if at all.