Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Exclude selected Playlists from Taste Profile and Discover Suggestions

I play music off Spotify for my bubba to fall asleep to. This is typically classical/meditative relaxing style tracks. Since she sleeps 4 times a day this type of music is getting a LOT of playtime but is not representative of my music taste. I'm finding my Discover Weekly (which I LOVE by the way) is moving more away from my music and more towards the classical/chill out stuff I play for the little one. 

Would be super cool to be able to mark a playlist to exclude it from the Discover algorithm.

Thanks!

Updated on 2023-02-09

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that Exclude from Taste Profile feature is now available on all platforms. There's more info about the topic in our Newsroom Article. 

If you'd like to give it a try right now, follow the steps below:

1. Select the playlist of your choice. 
  2. Tap the three dots near the top of the playlist.
  3. Select “Exclude from your Taste Profile.”

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community 🙂 

Comments
theAuoraBeam

Absolutely!!

I feel the same very strongly.

I have specific songs I play for going to sleep to, and they are not the same at all for what I listen to during the day. It really skewed the algorithm for this and the end-of-year wrap up.

cellerby

I opened a support ticket to try and get some attention to this issue with "Discover Weekly" and the larger issue of the support community not receiving proper (or any) attention from Spotify.

They responded:

No worries! We'll make sure to get this feedback to the right folks. Rest assured that always working on improving and building new features and tools for you to use. Your feedback is important to us because it helps inform future decisions.

It's nice to at least get a positive response that is not just a copy/paste.  I just hope that it results in real action.

I also asked that they send some representatives from their support team here to the community to start publicly addressing some of these popular posts that have 4+ years of activity by hundreds of customers, but have not been acknowledged by the company.

I get that some feature requests are not going to quickly make their way onto the development roadmap, but we need to make sure that these requests are at least being seen, responded to, and added to the backlog. 

The only reason I can come up with that an issue as large and as common as the one we are having with "Discover Weekly" has gone un-addressed for 4+ years is that they are unaware of it.  That means they are operating this community without proper internal oversight, which is inexcusable.   

I optimistically await their response.

mpokhylets

I really need this.

I have a Sonos speaker, on which every morning starts a wakeup playlist. That’s one of the few things that can pull me of the bed and it’s an important part of my life. But also it is a very utilitary thing, specifically compiled to get me out of the bed, and does not necessarily represent my musical preferences. But since it is played everything single day, it seems to bias Spotify algorithms a lot. My Top Songs 2019 consists entirely of songs from my wakeup playlist.

And for a while I've had a similar sleeping playlist, but had to turn it off - it was even worth.

Would be nice if I could manually exclude playlist from analysis or if playlists started on schedule would be excluded automatically.

cellerby

Requests to support have not gone well the last couple days.  So far each reply I get is from another random support staff member that lost the plot of previous communications, and none ever acknowledge the issue with the support community here being ignored by Spotify.  The responses are becoming increasingly copy/paste.  Requests to escalate to management have also been ignored multiple times.

Here's hoping the next response goes somewhere... but it really feels like Spotify does not care about supporting this support community, or even acknowledging its existence.  They are likely embarrassed that they dropped the ball so bad leaving an entire community with hundreds of very active posts that have gone without official response for 4+ years.  We may need more people reaching out to make a big enough wave that they finally notice and give us the proper support we are paying for.  Still hard to believe an issue this big has gone ignored for over 4 years.

TweetTweet

yes please!!!!  My use case: I am an active musician and when I need to learn cover songs, I practice along to Spotify. These artists/tracks end up at the top of all my recommendations and my yearly Wrapped - mostly obscuring the music I choose to listen to on my own. I'd be fine with any solution that allowed me control over which listening activity contributes to my recommendations - for instance, if turning on Private Session truly didn't contribute to recommendations, that's good enough for me.

Therealticey

This should be an essential feature of Spotify.

like many others, I listen to a number of playlists at night and they drastically affect the algorithm based playlists, in particular the new “On Repeat”

It needs to work when listening through Alexa or Google home, just going into a private session on your phone is not an acceptable solution

What would it take to add an option for the playlist to play privately.  

it has been suggested loads of times and commented upon by many but always seems to get binned by Spotify.  Come on, what are we paying for, bet Apple Music does it...

miryanda

YES SPOTIFY - PLEASE DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS!

I have supported spotify since its inception but I have 2 young toddlers that LOVE Disney and has taken over everything - Discovery weekly, my daily mixes, etc. I LOVE music and I depend on these lists to introduce me to new music and now it's completely failing me. 

I saw that Spotify is rolling out Spotify kids app, I wonder if they are not implementing our requests because they want everyone to sign up for a separate account for their kids under the family share program and in that way get more subscriptions. 

Regardless. I hope that someone will help with the current situation since the family app is not available for US yet:

1) Someone suggested a reset button for current algorithm - YES, please implement this option!

2) Not only have the option to toggle algorithm monitoring on/off for playlists, but for listening sessions - I often play disney playlists that are not my own, or just Disney soundtracks that I don't follow off of Alexa.

3) Work w/ third parties such as Alexa, Sonos, etc - to allow voice activation of turning tracking on/off so that when we listen there we can automatically request tracking to be turned off if necessary.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE!! 

_wojtek

So recently I started to listend some lo-fi playlists as a background for work (instead of keeping YT tab open, which is a huge resource hog and I don't need effin vide) and now half of my daily playlist are with lo-fi beats, which is utterly **bleep**ed... it's purely utilitarian and serves only as background yet Spotify deems it as the most valuable for me.

AI.. is to stupid. And feeding everything to AI is even more **bleep**e. SPOTIFY - please finally implement this!

I was considering signing up for second account but this comes with some gotchas:

* no premium (I won't pay twice because spotify management is silly)

* switching between two accounts sucks big time (because Spotify scrapped their API so we can only use their app)

e11en

Why is this still not implemented!? Come on guys! The users are dying for this feature. 

pprune

I can report back, that after well over 6 months of making sure i switch to private mode before playing sleep playlists... my discover weekly playlist is still completely unusable.  I've even been through discovery suggestions skipping before 6 seconds (read somewhere the algorithm registers this) Complete waste of effort and time, this is so basic and frustrating i'm going to cancelling our family account and signing up to an alternative.