Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Exclude selected Playlists from Taste Profile and Discover Suggestions

I play music off Spotify for my bubba to fall asleep to. This is typically classical/meditative relaxing style tracks. Since she sleeps 4 times a day this type of music is getting a LOT of playtime but is not representative of my music taste. I'm finding my Discover Weekly (which I LOVE by the way) is moving more away from my music and more towards the classical/chill out stuff I play for the little one. 

Would be super cool to be able to mark a playlist to exclude it from the Discover algorithm.

Thanks!

Updated on 2023-02-09

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that Exclude from Taste Profile feature is now available on all platforms. There's more info about the topic in our Newsroom Article. 

If you'd like to give it a try right now, follow the steps below:

1. Select the playlist of your choice. 
  2. Tap the three dots near the top of the playlist.
  3. Select “Exclude from your Taste Profile.”

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community 🙂 

Comments
Datadev88

How is it 2021 and this still hasn't been addressed?  

I've been a Spotify user since beta in USA and I'm seriously considering dropping my subscription because my white noise playlist for sleeping has ruined my Discover Weekly playlists. 

No matter how many times I dislike all the odd ambient noise tracks they throw in my discover weekly, they keep coming!

I'm aware of private sessions on spotify but I use the Sonos app/speaker to play white noise at night...  It's cumbersome to go to a private session and then cast to my speaker rather than just using the Sonos app...

Besides...as this thread has shown, there is clearly a demand for this kind of feature.  

As a software developer myself, this doesn't seem like a large ask...

jhardman7788

There have been dozens of posts on the same idea and admins keep setting it to not right now. Super helpful...keep removing features people use and handcuff us with problems that should be fixable. Getting increasingly frustrated with Spotify's development and support. 

andygnewman

So every morning I did a workout and use some Spotify playlists from the workout suggestions.

Then I listen to Spotify while I work. But my dedicated playlists have all been consumed by my workout tracks, which is not a genre I want to listen to while I work.

I would love to be able to exclude certain genres / themes from my Discover Weekly / Release Radar to make listening to Spotify better. As it is I often switch to internet radio where I get curated music that is more in line with what I want to listen to while I work. But that just ends up making my Discover Weekly / Release radar even more weighted to the stuff I don’t want on it.

Would be good to be able to tell Spotify to ignore certain genres / playlists when curating music for me.

sa124

OK Spodgify. I'm going to add another example to this thread.

You're introducing new features to my desktop app, so I'm going to fully assume there's a dev team working on the home feed, and you're not just leaving it to rot. So… why you're adding audiobooks to my feed, but not allowing me to the option to say "Hey, thanks for suggesting this, but no… I'm not interested in Audiobooks in the slightest bit – I've tried Audible years ago and didn't like it – please remove this from my feed" is totally beyond me.

I'm still seeing the "Your 2020 Wrapped: Missed Hits" front and centre on my home feed too - but I haven't interacted with it in the last 27 days - sooooo, maybe let me remove it myself? Freeing up real estate for the things i DO want to listen to?

Happy to chat with your Product Team if they don't understand the customers needs / wants!

Screenshot 2021-01-27 at 13.16.04.png

SAlex2309

So I have a playlist called "Instrumental relaxation" where I leave it running every night on my computer as jazz and soft tunes bring me to sleep. As a playlist, it has done wonders and my nights have never been better, been using it over a year now, but last year I didn't really like that my "favorite" playlist and songs that were compiled were the ones which I only used as a dozing off mechanic and not actually the songs which I listen to actively and like. Wouldn't a feature where a playlist and/or song be excluded from the algorithm consideration be possible to prevent this?

Hoperose93

I listen to music overnight on my Alexa so now my top artists are the piano guys even though I don't listen to them regularly just overnight and when I have to focus.

The suggestion to use a private session doesn't really work because you can't do that on Alexa so I either need to be able enable private sessions on Alexa or exclude artists/playlists/songs from the taste profile, favourite artists and year in Spotify so I don't have suggestions for songs I listen to over night.

Or another idea would be to have separate taste profiles, one for music you relax/sleep/focus to and another for music you listen to for enjoyment.

jhardman7788

I've been trying to use private sessions to combat this issue but inevitably I forget to turn it on one night and the amount of hours listening to relaxation music outweighs my other habits completely ruining the discover functionality and resulting in useless recommendations. As others have mentioned the inability to play a private session through a voice assistant also hampers the effectiveness of this "feature". Clearly your customers are interested in this, how hard is it to put in an exclusion option, even a dislike playlist button to exclude it while still allowing us to follow for limited listening purposes.

jakoblee

“Not right now” is an insult and “ private mode” doesn’t work. We need a real fix to tell your algorithm what we want and more importantly what we DON’T want. 

LauraMWelch

I love that Spotify makes my daily mixes and year end reviews, but I would love it if there was a feature that allowed me to basically turn off certain songs or genres from what you track in my listening habits. For instance, I often listen to sleep playlists overnight which helps me sleep, but because they can play for a few hours I am now getting sleep music in my daily mixes, or during the holidays I listen to Christmas music like crazy but I don’t want that showing up in daily mixes. In the mornings I listen to calming music but because I do it every day, it ends up always topping my “year end review” even though its not necessarily the genre of music I like most. If we could have a button that turned off tracking as we desire I think it would make daily mixes and year end reviews more accurate. 

nickledow

I listen to sleep playlists to sleep at night. I listen to concentration playlists while working on my computer.

I do not listen to those types of songs at any other time and I do not want those songs to be recommended in my Discover Weekly/Release Radar.

Those playlists have unfortunately been rendered useless for me for at least two months because there is no fix for this issue. 

Please, add a feature to make playlists private or somehow isolated from the algorithm that finds new music to make recommendations for me. Private session does not work because I cannot make a private session on Xbox.  I listen on many different platforms. 

I can find new sleep or concentration playlists when I get bored of what I had been listening to and I do not need the individual type songs recommended. 

I have "X" out the songs I don't want to hear (for weeks), hoping that would fix the algorithm, but I believe since I still listen to the sleep playlists at night it is not responding to the "X" of songs. (See picture below) My Discover Weekly/Release Radar is completely full of songs I do not want to here.

Give me back my weekly BANGERS please!

DiscoverWeeklyIssue.png