Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Exclude selected Playlists from Taste Profile and Discover Suggestions

I play music off Spotify for my bubba to fall asleep to. This is typically classical/meditative relaxing style tracks. Since she sleeps 4 times a day this type of music is getting a LOT of playtime but is not representative of my music taste. I'm finding my Discover Weekly (which I LOVE by the way) is moving more away from my music and more towards the classical/chill out stuff I play for the little one. 

Would be super cool to be able to mark a playlist to exclude it from the Discover algorithm.

Thanks!

Updated on 2023-02-09

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that Exclude from Taste Profile feature is now available on all platforms. There's more info about the topic in our Newsroom Article. 

If you'd like to give it a try right now, follow the steps below:

1. Select the playlist of your choice. 
  2. Tap the three dots near the top of the playlist.
  3. Select “Exclude from your Taste Profile.”

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community 🙂 

Comments
Tsanguine

Your recommendation for using private listening mode doesn't work for many of us. I use a Google home speaker and routine to automatically start a relaxing playlist for my kids every night at 7:15. I can't use private listening to my knowledge for this example. I've gave up a year or so ago and decided my main Spiotify account wasn't serving my needs anymore. I've been paying for a family account for something like seven years and I still had one account available through the family plan. So relegated my primary account to be connected to my home and Google playback and created a new account. Still not happy with the results. I've even gone so far as to make a couple of playlists called Retrain and Retool Discovery to constantly play in the background at zero volume just to try to retake over my discovery playlist. I've found so many great songs and artists using Discover Weekly but I haven't gotten it to function how I want for three years or so and it's sooooo frustrating. All you have to do is be able to allow us to toggle any of our playlists to automatically use private listening. There are multiple requests that total thousands and thousands of users with the same complaint. Please just finally fix it!!!

TheHellsRocker

Got the same problem. If often listen to soundtracks or lo-fi playlists while working, gaming or relaxing. To an extend that I often get my discover weekly fully cluttered by this. But I would like to "discover" new music "weekly" like the name suggests. That's really not possible if, and switching to private session all the time is really annoying.

This year I listened plenty of the "Skyrim Soundtrack". Now at the end of the year I was looking forward to my best of 2022, only to find that I'm apparently I'm one of the top listeners all year for this artist and the entire soundtrack was added to my best of! Every second song is a soundtrack now...

A simple "do not include in recommendations" button for playlists would be great. I don't want to block out songs I normally like from discover weekly and like I said switching to private session really is an overcomplicated way of (not) adding this feature. Especially because I listen on many different devices (Desktop, mobile, Console) now how should I always switch to private and back on all different devices?

yadda79

I need this idea. Badly. I have tinnitus, so I struggle falling asleep without some sound around me distracting me from the 18-19kHz tone that's always there. Be it a lengthy documentary on astronomy on Youtube, or a calm list on Spotify.

Now, my favourite calm list, just dominates "Discover Weekly". And the music I really want to discover, more upbeat house/electro or metal, just isn't discovered anymore.

EDIT/UPDATE: Oh, and for the record, I generally use Google Home / Nest Mini's for the sleeping. And browsing both the Community and Reddit on the subject of "Private Session" - Spotify denied the request made by someone 2 years ago. And Reddit said in 2020 that setting your phone to private session, doesn't stop tracking. So please, pretty please, with sugar on top - can you take this from "not now" to "sure, it's not like we're mean or anything, just been busy". 

RenanTorM

I followed the guidance of using private listening, but the path is a little time consuming, it would be practical to assign this profile to a playlist or add a shortcut when holding the playlist.

kfrascello

Discover weekly is great in the summer, when I work my second job and can listen to music nonstop during my shift. It gives me exactly the kind of music I want. But during the school year, when I’m working with kids, I can’t listen to my music. During these times, I’m playing a lot of fun songs off of one or two specific playlists. So for 10 months out of the year, my discover weekly is flooded with kid-friendly pop songs. 
It would be awesome if I could select specific playlists that I DON’T want to be included in my discover weekly. Every summer, I have to start over with my music selection, and then it often suggests songs that I distinctly remember pressing “hide song” to from the previous year. If we had this option, my discover weekly would ALWAYS be my favorite style of music, without cutesy kid songs. 

HelenaA1

I also received the answer to use the private listening but it is time consuming to switch that on every time I am to use mindfulness music putting the kids to bed (and do not want I in my algorithm). 

muzeak

This day has finally come guys! The 'Exclude from taste profile' option is coming to playlists! Not sure why this thread is marked as 'Not right now' since they've clearly been working on it for a while. But hey, I'm happy! 

bravura

At last! ❤️

Lyubka
Status changed to: Implemented

Updated on 2023-02-09

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that Exclude from Taste Profile feature is now available on all platforms. There's more info about the topic in our Newsroom Article. 

If you'd like to give it a try right now, follow the steps below:

1. Select the playlist of your choice. 
  2. Tap the three dots near the top of the playlist.
  3. Select “Exclude from your Taste Profile.”

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community 🙂 

Kojoman

Wohoo! Spotify listens!! Thank you! This is awesome!