Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Exclude selected Playlists from Taste Profile and Discover Suggestions

I play music off Spotify for my bubba to fall asleep to. This is typically classical/meditative relaxing style tracks. Since she sleeps 4 times a day this type of music is getting a LOT of playtime but is not representative of my music taste. I'm finding my Discover Weekly (which I LOVE by the way) is moving more away from my music and more towards the classical/chill out stuff I play for the little one. 

Would be super cool to be able to mark a playlist to exclude it from the Discover algorithm.

Thanks!

Updated on 2023-02-09

Hey folks,

Thanks for coming to the Spotify Idea Exchange and voting to make this happen.

We're happy to announce that Exclude from Taste Profile feature is now available on all platforms. There's more info about the topic in our Newsroom Article. 

If you'd like to give it a try right now, follow the steps below:

1. Select the playlist of your choice. 
  2. Tap the three dots near the top of the playlist.
  3. Select “Exclude from your Taste Profile.”

Once again, thanks for helping us make Spotify better, by participating here on the Community 🙂 

Comments
jgarbers

Especially now with Spotify / Alexa integration, I have to think this will be an increasingly important issue for a lot of people. We listen to a "deep sleep" playlist every night, and I have exactly zero interest in listening to those songs any other time of day, but my recommendations now have nothing but that genre of music. The recommendations feature, which I used to really enjoy, is now useless. I really hope it'll be possible to flag a playlist as "don't use for recommendations" soon.

qq_faa2-spgg

Having the exact same issue. I use meditative music to get my toddler to settle down. Now my Discover weekly and automatic playlists are getting invaded with music I never listen to on my own. Hoping some smart person can solve this as beautifully as the rest of the product. Because right now my Spotify-experience is eroding.

munkifisht

I have pretty much the exact same issue. One song that I like to play as I sleep (rain noises essentially) is influencing my Discovery to the point where it's pretty much unusable. 

jshupe

I usually search for "running" or "180bpm" and pick a random playlist before going out on my runs. More often than not, this music is not what I would usually listen to, but the fact that it is usually new to me, usually upbeat, and usually around 180bpm tends to work out great for my workouts. I would love a way to exclude these from the learning and suggestion algorithms because they capture music I don't ordinarily care about but account for several hours a week of listening.

bravura

Dearest Spotify,

Why has this idea fallen by the wayside? It's fantastic. As a member of a cheesy 80s covers band, I listen to a certain playlist enough that I've had my entire suggestion list taken over by that particular decade. My new musical discoveries have slowed painfully.

Is this my future? An eternal 80s?

Shame on you.

Kindest regards,

Benjamin.

CamR

I have this exact same issue, thinking I can't use Spotify for kids music anymore because it has ruined the discover weekly algorithm for me

parvo

My wife listens to ambient noise on Spotify every night to help her sleep, and consequently her discover weekly is useless and filled with crickets and rain sounds**bleep**. She can't be the only person with this problem. Adding a "skip genre" feature to discover weekly settings would be a very welcome addition to your service. 

SofornoOne

This is exactly what I thought too. I am listening to Sleep-Playlists nearly every night, but it totally disturbs my Discovery thingy... Please, please, please implement this!

KBob

I have the same problem. I've played a lullabyd for my daughter for many years already, but suddenly a couple weeks ago my Weekly Discover got filled with lullabies, basically destroying that feature for me. It was one of my main sources of finding new interesting music. I'm already considering closing this account and opening a new one to get reasonable suggestions again.

Edit: Last week I clicked "Don't like" for each song in my Discover Weekly -playlist, hoping that would give the algorithm a hint I might not like a playlist full of lullabies. This week it was still the same, so I clicked "Don't like" for everything again, let's see if it does anything.

Edit: Third week of clicking "Don't like" on each song in my Discover weekly. No change yet.

Edit: Week four. Spotify is recommending dog relaxation music. I don't have a dog. Not an improvement. I guess the preferences of individual users aren't updated weekly, or even monthly.

Edit: Week five. Suggestions include easy listening covers of Imagine, whale song and various lullabies.

Edit: Week six. No change. There's some Peter Rabbit, and a version of Somewhere over the rainbow by Star Spangled Banner, tho.

Edit: Week seven. Various lullabies, Greensleeves, plenty of stuff with the word 'chill' in them, and some relaxing ragas.

Edit: Week eight. Birdsong, meditation, spa music, lullabies and other music for kids. Started using private mode when playing lullabies to my kid, maybe it'll help.

Edit: Week nine. The playlist continues to be all lullabies and spa music. Something called The Hang Massive features as well.

tempestblayze

HOW IS THIS STILL NOT IMPLEMENTED!?

I play Acoustic Guitar music to put my son to sleep but im tired of it affecting my discover weekly and various other auto-generated playlists.  Setting it to a private session is not supported on my Roku app which is what I use the play the music. 

Come on Spotify, this is a clear candidate for a feature update.