Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Find public Playlists that contain Song/Artist

My theory (not rocket science):

If someone else's playlist includes a song or artists that I like, there is a good change that I will enjoy the rest of their playlist. 

Currently, you can only search for public playlists via playlist name.  Considering that most people do not name their playlists to accurately reflect the type of music it contains, I believe that the current search functionality is quite limited. 

Spotify should have functionality to search for public playlists that contain a song/artist.  I think would be immensly helpful for music discovery.  

Best of luck, 

Ryan

P.S. - Down the line, it would be interesting to see "similarity scores" between two playlists.  Could be quite interesting for finding new music.  

Updated on 2019-10-31

Hey folks.

Thanks again for all your votes and comments.
We're still keeping an eye on this idea, but at this time we don't have an update.

Comments
fabulux

I was a Rdio user, until it shut down and forced me to migrate to Spotify. My absolute favorite and most used feature of Rdio was the ability to search playlists and user collections based on a song/track.  It is THE best tool to find new music/artists. It also has the powerful ability to connect users from all over the world, based on shared musical preferences. Everyone benefits from this feature (Spotify, artists and users).

This feature's omission forces the user to employ other platforms if they want to look for new music or connect with others through music. The user then returns to Spotify to perform another search, in order to add what they discovered to their library or follow a user. This process is obviously absurd.

savu_constantin

Jesus guys , no wander why your company is going down...

PracticallyNothing

I think a feature like this would be really good for discovering music and moods we like.

The Radio feature looks like an attempt to solve this problem, however it's doomed to failure, since Radio cannot know what I'm feeling or what I want to listen to right now (it's OK at telling what I generally do and don't want to listen to) and there's no way to tell it (and even if there were, Radio's AI would probably need to understand a good portion of the human psyche to work with that information). Radio only offers one list of songs "tailored to you" but, personally, I often find myself dissatisfied with the results - it lazily fills the playlist with songs from my likes, it places songs that don't belong with the surrounding ones, it incorrectly interprets genres and themes and so on.

Humans, on the other hand, understand other humans and themselves and are really good at creating either collections or threads of music that fit a particular mood, genre, idea, activity, story, etc. This feature would enable us to find these collections/threads and help with discovering new music that we like.

Please consider the feature.

nostalgix
That is not what this topic is about. It's about finding other playlist
that you don't already know, that contain a song you like.

bzero

Alternative: When you go to a track, you actually see a section "Discovered in..." or "First seen in...." ... there comes a list of playlists on which that track was first listened very often. So this could be a way to find cool playlists . I use it like this.

But a really nice feature just doing this would be even better.

baldryfam

please for the ever loving f*** implement this feature . we all need it so badly

chloemiu

*checks in 11 years later*

a1c2s3

this would be incredible. hope this is still being considered!

leseratte82

Often, I would like to listen to  a certain song and following that, to a Playlist containing this song.

So far, i only can listen to the song radio, which contains songs from the era/genre or other users listening to this song listen to.

But I would like to listen to either my own playlists containing the song, or playlists created by Spotify ( for the general public or especially for me) or by other Spotify users.

Asimz

2023....and nothing has changed since 2012 when this idea was submitted?!