Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Find public Playlists that contain Song/Artist

My theory (not rocket science):

If someone else's playlist includes a song or artists that I like, there is a good change that I will enjoy the rest of their playlist. 

Currently, you can only search for public playlists via playlist name.  Considering that most people do not name their playlists to accurately reflect the type of music it contains, I believe that the current search functionality is quite limited. 

Spotify should have functionality to search for public playlists that contain a song/artist.  I think would be immensly helpful for music discovery.  

Best of luck, 

Ryan

P.S. - Down the line, it would be interesting to see "similarity scores" between two playlists.  Could be quite interesting for finding new music.  

Updated on 2019-10-31

Hey folks.

Thanks again for all your votes and comments.
We're still keeping an eye on this idea, but at this time we don't have an update.

Comments
samthebrand

There is a lot of potential in this feature request. There's even more potential in advanced sorting of playlists to discover new music and users who curate good playlists. This community forum is a good place to vote up feature requests, but this format is not the most user friendly to get answers to whether or not this feature exists in some form by third party or if it's possible to develop. As such I've asked a couple related questions at Web Apps Stack Exchange (and quoted a couple users here):

http://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/67951/how-to-search-spotify-playlists-by-song

http://webapps.stackexchange.com/questions/67840/how-to-do-advanced-search-and-sorting-for-public-sp...

Feel free to answer if you can. Thanks.

SB

pabloisnotaliar

Thisis actually not that hard to make, is very similar to facebook's new graph search, you just have to make a mysql search like search playlist where song= x song or something like that (who actually remembers how to sql :v )

I thought about this right when I started using spotify. It would be great just to find playlists that contain a certain song (or songs) and maybe by extension even people with similar music tastes.

Teodor123

We need this! 🙂 🙂 🙂

adamdotcruz

We need this! Even if it's only for Premium members or something. It's such a small, simple tool that could be so useful to not only me, but all the people who have participated in this post for over 2 years. How has this not been added by now when it's clearly in demand?

petr7

thanks to zlapper this is work for me now

site:spotify.com inurl:"spotify/playlist" "artist name" "song name"  

(969 results but including album playlists)   site:spotify.com inurl:"spotify/playlist" "wilco" ''radio cure'' 

(193 results) site:spotify.com inurl:"spotify/playlist" "wilco" ''neil young''  "tom waits" 

or with song name

( 86 results)    site:spotify.com inurl:"spotify/playlist" "green grass" ''radio cure''

Edit: this works better  I think (6,890 results) :    allintext:  "tom waits" ''wilco'' site:spotify.com         

pieps

this feature would be a great way to find similar music

f.e. i like an artist that has a really great christmas song and i want to listen to a playlist full of christmas songs like that

i have no guarantee that this song is going to be in there if i simply search for christmas playlists

hece

well today I needed this feature, to find out how to perform such a search I googled and I found out its not supported yet. 

so do it as soon as possible 🙂 

C200sc

I just discovered Spotify, and thats the first feature I'm missing. Other than that great service, but please add this feature.

bzero

Would be great: RIGHT CLICK on the song, "Show playlists that contain this song"... et voilà.