Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Find similar Playlists to your own Playlist

I have a playlist of all of my favorite songs. Just from browsing around Spotify for a little I found a playlist that had about 70% of the songs in my playlist in it. I soon discovered that I loved the majority of the songs in this new playlist that I didn't already have in mine. I have discovered a lot of new music this way, but it is difficult and time consuming to find new playlist similar to mine.

I think it would be awesome to have the ability to discover new playlist that contain a lot of the same songs as my own playlist. This could be done with a "Search for Similar Playlists" feature that allows users to drag multiple songs or playlist into a search feature that locates playlists others have created that have a high percentage of similar songs in it. 

Updated on 2018-12-14

Hi everyone!

We're keeping this as a 'Good Idea' for now. Please know your feedback is reaching the internal teams at Spotify, and they're aware of the votes around this idea. We'll continue to check out the comments here too.

Just as a heads up, be sure to check out the 'Create Similar Playlist' option on the Desktop and Mobile apps. You can find it by clicking the three dots on most playlists. 

If there are any updates, we'll let you know.

Thanks.

Comments
wasseng

If not similar playlists, perhaps similar users like "pin-twin" on Pintrest?

Love the suggested idea though. I currentlly do this allot manually by search, choosing a different users playlist and from there trying to find similair lists.

Ptomalley35

@joe12, Thanks for sharing this idea on Reddit. I am also really into discovering new music and I agree that this idea would be a game changer for Spotify if they could implement it.

I think that allowing users to right click their playlist to “Find Similar” would very easy way to implement this idea.  Also, when you are on an artist page on the right hand side it shows “Related Artist” and then list a couple similar artist. I see no reason why this couldn’t be done with playlist as well. Spotify could even use this to promote their own playlist as well by just putting “Similar Playlist” on the side and then listing a couple.

This idea would really help bring users together in the already rapidly growing network. Right now no music streaming service has really figured out a way to bring users together and if Spotify could they would have a huge advantage over their competition. The utility gained from using a feature that allowed you to find similar playlist, if it was implemented, would only grow with the more people that join Spotify and soon it would become inconvenient for someone to use a different streaming service.   

Essentially this idea would give user generated playlist more exposure and follows. Which in turn, like you said, gives smaller artist more exposure as well.  I think I have personally made some pretty good playlist, but there isn’t really anyway for people to discover and follow them as of now other than searching for my profile. If my playlist started gaining more followers it would certainly give me more of a reason to encourage my friends to create premium accounts.

For me music is all about connecting with people. It is one of those things that everyone loves and all in all this idea would really help people connect through music.

meahtenoha
Status changed to: Good idea, vote for it
Updated: 2016-01-07

Good idea @Ptomalley35 we'll continue to keep you all updated on this idea as it grows in kudos. Thanks!

Keeks

I had the same idea! Wish they can add this tool

lealbruce

If you're interested, here's a link to create "Smarter Playlists", which actually allows you to blend several differen't playlists, songs, artists, etc. 

leahmm

This is a great idea! The ability to search for similar playlists should definitely be implemented! I also believe suggested follows should be based on percentage of similar music (radio, playlists, artist follows) as well as people that may be known via facebook. These could be mixed in the suggested colum or there could be a toggle allowing the user to select between facebook-based suggested follows and shared music tatse suggested follows. This would allow networking between people with similar taste in music, rather than just people that have mutual "real life" friends. It would also be cool to be able to view percentage of similar music between you and the people spotify suggests via facebook. 

Ex: Find Friends: "Follow Johnny Appleseed (someone from faceboook, that the user probably knows.) You and Johnny are a %78 music match. Here are your mutual follows: blahblahblah...."

mbug90

Thank you so much for implementing this so quickly.  We are so very grateful.  😃

EilerWessel

The new "recommened songs" feature is great! I would be very happy though, if there also was a "recommended playlists" feature as well! It could be built the same way, with only three lists showing.
Getting this addition would very much cater to my draw towards other peoples playlists and collections, as a part of my treasure hunt needs. I do love to snoop around other peolples list, who share some taste or tracks with mine, in my ever-lasting quest to find and discover new music.

I must admit, after the notifications have been removed from the desktop player, I am much less drawn to sit down and discover - now I am hardly ever doing anything else than listening to the music I already have, as I am no longer able to go in and check out what is going on with other user's music lists, or see who is liking and following mine. Having these notifications in my email program does nothing for me, as they aren't attached to the player anymore. I am sorry to say, I find myself spending CONSIDERABLY less time browsing for music anymore, after this change.
I want to discover through real people - not robots or algorithms. Please.

BUT; adding a "recommended playlists" feat would rectify this pretty much, I think. Whattcha think? Should be easy enough to add, shouldn't it?

Spinal

Found this post while searching google for a way to find playlists similar to mine... As long as the songs contained are roughly the same, would be good to find new music...

vanhaase

I subscibe. A users unique profile contents very different (and much more helpful) data compared to an algorithm made with average values.

Level instead of levelling. @Joe121: Your line of argumentation is perfect. Deezer shows how it could work.