Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] New Releases Section for Followed Artists

Please add a section to the desktop and mobile apps where we can see all of the new releases from the artists we follow. When artists release new music, their fans want a way to find it directly in Spotify without having to rely on social media or elsewhere away from the Spotify app. The Release Radar playlist by Spotify only shows some new releases and then it disappears a week later.

This new section would act as a "feed" and update automatically when a new album from an artist you follow is available on Spotify. Please make the feed have a high display limit so we can go back months and months and for sure won't miss any releases.

For a third party solution check out (PLEASE IMPLEMENT IT LIKE THIS)

https://spotifyreleaselist.netlify.app

---> Check out my guide on how to use this third party web app

Screenshot from https://spotifyreleaselist.netlify.app:

screenshot

The problem with the current "new releases" section is that it doesn't show new releases from artists you follow. It only show the most popular new releases. The only way right now to find new releases is to go to the artist's page and hunt around for the new release or use the Release Radar playlist.

The Release Radar playlist is not what we want. The problem with the Release Radar playlist is that it mixes in suggestions. I want to see followed artists ONLY. And if you check the playlist a week too late, all the songs are GONE.

We need a feed that we can scroll back months and months and months so we can see all the new releases from the artists we follow. We shouldn't have to rush through it and it be gone the next week.

Updated on 2019-10-16

Hi everyone, we've recently reviewed this idea and will keep its status as is for now.

For clarity's sake, here's the relevant section from our previous status update:

"..our teams feel this is currently fulfilled by our Release Radar playlistWith Release Radar, we’re giving you a weekly selection of the newest releases that matter most to you in one convenient playlist. You’ll get all of your new favorite music, without any of the effort that goes into searching for the latest gems."

Comments
MattSuda

Adding this here for future reference (from d-roam)

We want a feed that:

• Shows new releases ONLY from the artists we follow, and shows ALL new releases from the artists we follow
  • Shows releases neatly in chronological order, with clear headings showing the full release date (day, month, and year)
  • Neatly presents new releases in the form they were released (i.e., EP's and Albums are shown as such rather than as a list of all songs within them -- or make this a toggle option)
  • Goes back in time as far as possible (preferably all time, to show all releases from our Followed Artists in chronological order)
  • Clearly indicates which releases are new to us since our last visit
  • Has a number badge on the button for the section that tells us if there are new releases since our last visit, and how many
  • Not crucial but nice to have: Can be filtered by time frame, artist, release type (album, EP, single), country, genre, etc.
mixtapebry

Any chance of re-hashing this idea because release radar is underwhelming.  Music Junkies like me don't need recommendations from Spotify, we need the high quality streams and accurate/up to date news on the artists we actually follow.  Maybe diverting funds away from people who make these playlists like Emo Forever and whatnot to fulfill the needs of the people  who have signed up for the extensive library could benefit Spotify in the long term and distinguish it from other services as not only a place to stream new music but also as a place that supports the listeners actual interests, not what Spotify thinks they would like.  If I wanted you to do my thinking for me, I'd just keep listening to the radio.

acrookedsmile

there are many ways to look at this and as mixtapebry writes, many users don't want or need Spotify to do the thinking for them.

Instead of enabling users to do their own thinking, Spotify instead limits features for self-thinking users so they can be forced them into the fold of listening to only music promoted by Spotify marketing team.

It's just that if users have to be forced, that's implicit acknowledgement hat an idea is a bad one to start with. If the idea or feature is good, letting users choose freely will still work.

mikespooner

What is the point of following artists if there's no way to see when they've released something new?

The email alerts are nice in theory, but they are rarely sent and often do not alert me when an artist releases new music. Moreover, often they show me music that is NOT new.

I can't even find "Release Radar." When I do manage to stumble upon it, it only shows a few songs that are from artists I'm following, and the others are suggested artists. NOT what I want.

It's kind of ridiculous that Spotify is ignoring such a popular request. Why do you even have this request forum if you're just going to ignore people's requests?

Idonthaveonewhy

Youre soon going to have your paying patrons saying "Not Right Now", when it comes to Premium Renewal. You guys aren't the only ones in the game any longer. Think about it. 

PTR73

I have just noticed the status update from "2017-10-31" on this where Spotify have said they still think the Release Radar is enough. Clearly they have not been reading these comments then! MattSuda's post from 2018-01-05 above does a good job of stating the requirements. As others have said the Release Radar falls way short of requirements as it mixes in irrelevant (sponsored?) songs and once it changes there is no way to track back through new releases to find what you may have missed.

AKCELDUDZIN

Honestly if there was a service that carried a comparable amount of music and gave the new music option in there I would drop u in a heart beat Spotify... when u responded to the comment you implicitly left out the every aspect of the specific service, the information left out, the release radar playlist adds new music from siniliar artists and genres etc... you make money by providing artists with a platform to have there music heard there for you make more money the more you can force us to listen to music we wouldn’t either want to or would have came across. And you’re selling it as a new release radar for our preferred music, when it’s not, we can’t prefer something we don’t perceive the existence of... giving us the music that matters to us most... how how are you giving us the music that matters to us most when there are artists on there I have never heard of...? how are you not lying to our faces and actually achieving that by forcing us to listen to or stopping us from achieving the result of new music from our favourite artists listened to,  by the addition of artists we didn’t choose and aren’t even favourited... you will get all your new favourite music without all the effort it takes to search for it... again how many times do you want to lie and mislead us in one response and who even approved that message...? If we go to a playlist for new music from artists we follow... and there wishing that playlist is peppered with music from the same genre or similar artists that we have not liked or haven’t heard of... how are we not putting in the effort we would have to otherwise on say radio or as a different physical action with the same concept ie: scrolling down a playlist or artists etc that collaborate with followed artists etc... we have to search through the playlist for something comparable to what we want not what we actually want... and you lie to us and say that this playlist has no similar aspects similar or to or the same as searching for our favourite artists lastest music and catalogs... when you have directly and with intent added for your own reasons surrounding greed inserted the very thing that qualifies the inquisition as a search through unknown sources for music we like... music we don’t know of, from artists we haven’t heard of or like... it’s one thing to say you know what we’re here to make money, and offer a service at the same time, but to lie to us continually and leave it up as a permament market that we are just cattle to you... wow thanks so much and kodos to your marketing and admin department for continually letting absolute lies to continue to be the herald of your plans and concepts of any improvements possible.

talishka

INCREDIBLE SPOTIFY.

shepsii

Release Radar is DREADFUL!!!

Trust me spotify I don't want that. And here's why.

When someone is looking for new music, they want to get to know it. They want to understand which artist they are listening to without having to flick back and forth to spotify every few minutes.

You may think up there on your spotify music high horse that people like to just sit down on a bean bag somewhere and listen to music, gently contemplating each new song as it goes by.

No no no no!!

Here's an eye opener: I'm doing other things while the music is on. I just want new music ONLY by one artist at a time.

So the release radar **bleep** because I don't want a million new songs from a million different artists all in one go.

So I don't use it at all.

Then add in the weekly refresh. Just don't even get me started on that.

Hey spotify, here's an idea. If a thread for a feature gets to 18 pages, maybe you should have a think about actually implementing that, dontchathink?

WE WANT NEW RELEASE NOTIFICATIONS! WE WANT NEW RELEASE NOTIFICATIONS!

What's that, your customers want something?! Wonder what you should do about that?!!

JuWa

This feature would be essential. I cannot believe that Spotify think the Release Radar is equivalent feature. 

As the User already mentioned: The problem with the Release Radar playlist is that it mixes in suggestions. I want to see followed artists ONLY. And if you check the playlist a week too late, all the songs are GONE.

To ignore User Storys is not the way agile thinking works.