Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] New Releases Section for Followed Artists

Please add a section to the desktop and mobile apps where we can see all of the new releases from the artists we follow. When artists release new music, their fans want a way to find it directly in Spotify without having to rely on social media or elsewhere away from the Spotify app. The Release Radar playlist by Spotify only shows some new releases and then it disappears a week later.

This new section would act as a "feed" and update automatically when a new album from an artist you follow is available on Spotify. Please make the feed have a high display limit so we can go back months and months and for sure won't miss any releases.

For a third party solution check out (PLEASE IMPLEMENT IT LIKE THIS)

https://spotifyreleaselist.netlify.app

---> Check out my guide on how to use this third party web app

Screenshot from https://spotifyreleaselist.netlify.app:

screenshot

The problem with the current "new releases" section is that it doesn't show new releases from artists you follow. It only show the most popular new releases. The only way right now to find new releases is to go to the artist's page and hunt around for the new release or use the Release Radar playlist.

The Release Radar playlist is not what we want. The problem with the Release Radar playlist is that it mixes in suggestions. I want to see followed artists ONLY. And if you check the playlist a week too late, all the songs are GONE.

We need a feed that we can scroll back months and months and months so we can see all the new releases from the artists we follow. We shouldn't have to rush through it and it be gone the next week.

Updated on 2019-10-16

Hi everyone, we've recently reviewed this idea and will keep its status as is for now.

For clarity's sake, here's the relevant section from our previous status update:

"..our teams feel this is currently fulfilled by our Release Radar playlistWith Release Radar, we’re giving you a weekly selection of the newest releases that matter most to you in one convenient playlist. You’ll get all of your new favorite music, without any of the effort that goes into searching for the latest gems."

Comments
fbracht

They have the data they need to easily do this. This is what's deeply frustrating about it. 

Spotify could easily make the New Releases section be populated with artists I follow, or artists closely related to the ones I follow. Instead, it feeds me the absolutely top radio garbage in my country. This is stuff I NEVER listen to, there's absolutely no algorithmic reason for Spotify to be showing those artists to me. 

The reason there is is simple: these are paid promotions by the labels. 

It's a clear instance in which Spotify is pursuing a lose-win scenario in which the listener loses and Spotify/the labels win. I know Spotify must make money, I know it's hard in today's music business, and I wish they make lots of it, but please try to do so in win-win situations. The listener (especially the Premium subscriber) can't be shafted because Spotify wants to make an extra buck or two.

And especially we must not be lied to and patronized like we were in this thread. The Release Radar does NOT offer what we're asking, it's a completely different feature.

baoutch

Totally agree. Spotify has a great quality of service whenever you know exactly what to listen to.

But regarding recomendations or letting you discover things you will really like it is really bad. Also there should be some sort of home page just like youtube one where you can browse new stuff when you feel like it. But again as many ppl here I think this is deliberate from Spotify not to offer this feature anymore (again, this existed before as the notification bell, so when they say "Not for now" they're lying, it should be "Not anymore" ) .

Also someone in this thread developped this : http://spotifyradar.com/newreleases

At first I was annoyed cause I have to login on an external website to check out new releases but it is actually pretty good and reliable (thanks to the author btw). You still miss releases by a few days / weeks, but it's still waaaaaaayyyyyy better than their stupid release radar.

So again, please Spotify fix this.

Bizatts
I am voting for this idea.
jasonbwest

I don't like using playlists and would prefer to seek out new albums and listen to it in its entirety as it was meant to be listed to.  There are some many examples of albums that are meant to be cohesive and not just a collection of singles.  My ideal setup would have new releases by artists in my library or followed.  Next would be new releases from all the bands that would fall into the "Fans Also Like" category since these will be at least in my same genre of interest.  Lastly I might see all the other new releases I don't really care about.  I feel its increasingly difficult to sort through the plethora other genre artists to find the music I like.  Lastly, a band I highly respect, Manchester Orchestra, relased and album on 6/14/2019 and it wasn't even in the new release list or my discover weekly playlist.

Thanks.  

Klangspot

Before I open a new idea, I'll comment on this idea because it's similar:

The 'Release Radar' don't include only really fresh releases. One week I got a song from a release and the next week I got another song from the same release. I don't need a huge Release Radar playlist. I only want to see the latest Singel/EP/Album released from the artists I follow in the last week.

lindseylonadier

@jasonbwest 

thats because it was a collaboration with kevin devine and they go under
the name Bad Books but theres confusion surrounding that due to the first 2
releases i believe listed as both artists and/or the name Bad Books but are
going under that name officially for the 3rd album just released. i saw it
show up as manchester orchestra, bad books though on my spotify? see screenshots from today just taken...
Screenshot_20190623-182420_Spotify.jpg

Screenshot_20190623-182429_Spotify.jpg

idchiang

Vote up for this idea.

This is the reason why I am stopping spotify subscription now -- this should be a critical function of music streaming service.

The new release radar is not really useful. It's dominated by new release from artists in my work out & working playlists -- which I don't really need to know.

I will consider continue using spotify after they add this function. Its overall performance is better than what I'm using now, but this is just unacceptable.

fbracht

Well, I'm not putting up with Spotify's bad decisions and inactions anymore.

I went to check on Apple Music, and saw it has implemented exactly the thing we're asking. Take a look, here (just recorded this on my screen): https://youtu.be/gm5Rc6l7cDA

It's not even a major feature. It's just something that naturally needs to be there. It's an expected feature on a system where we can follow artists, to be properly notified of their new releases. And it's not hard to implement. Spotify has this data, in abundance, both explicit (our follows) and implicit (our listening habits). They don't offer this feature because they simply don't want to.

So, if that's something you want, you need to vote with your wallet and go use the service that wants to offer it to you. I know I did. 

Apple Music isn't perfect and has its own set of annoyances (for one, it's incredible you still can't resume listening on another device), but it does have this. And it's enough for me to switch, for now. 

(By the way, there's an app called SongShift that can easily carry your whole library and/or playlists back and forth among services. That used to be a problem, but isn't anymore. I switched and the app moved my entire library from Spotify to Apple Music in an hour or so, with very few songs missing.)

nordend

Just listened to my release radar and you could definitley tell which songs were put into my playlist due to a deals. This is not an alternative to a (updates) feed with only the artists i follow.

rwcoyote

I'm still frustrated that I have to use Amazon to find new relases in general... not just by acts i follow and like... I want a facility that alows we see ALL new music that has been relased on spotify... spotify also needs to have a way to sort new relses of singles and albums... at the moment, i go through the relase radar and click on the song and view album and is takes me to a new page where i can see if it is on a new album or if its just a single.... Really annoying!