Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] New Releases Section for Followed Artists

Please add a section to the desktop and mobile apps where we can see all of the new releases from the artists we follow. When artists release new music, their fans want a way to find it directly in Spotify without having to rely on social media or elsewhere away from the Spotify app. The Release Radar playlist by Spotify only shows some new releases and then it disappears a week later.

This new section would act as a "feed" and update automatically when a new album from an artist you follow is available on Spotify. Please make the feed have a high display limit so we can go back months and months and for sure won't miss any releases.

For a third party solution check out (PLEASE IMPLEMENT IT LIKE THIS)

https://spotifyreleaselist.netlify.app

---> Check out my guide on how to use this third party web app

Screenshot from https://spotifyreleaselist.netlify.app:

screenshot

The problem with the current "new releases" section is that it doesn't show new releases from artists you follow. It only show the most popular new releases. The only way right now to find new releases is to go to the artist's page and hunt around for the new release or use the Release Radar playlist.

The Release Radar playlist is not what we want. The problem with the Release Radar playlist is that it mixes in suggestions. I want to see followed artists ONLY. And if you check the playlist a week too late, all the songs are GONE.

We need a feed that we can scroll back months and months and months so we can see all the new releases from the artists we follow. We shouldn't have to rush through it and it be gone the next week.

Updated on 2019-10-16

Hi everyone, we've recently reviewed this idea and will keep its status as is for now.

For clarity's sake, here's the relevant section from our previous status update:

"..our teams feel this is currently fulfilled by our Release Radar playlistWith Release Radar, we’re giving you a weekly selection of the newest releases that matter most to you in one convenient playlist. You’ll get all of your new favorite music, without any of the effort that goes into searching for the latest gems."

Comments
imts

YES PLEASE!

app.swarm.fm is super confusing. It shows none of my artists that I'm following but only some random artist I don't even know about.

almp

Hi imts, I don't use app.swarm.fm anymore because it's true that the tool is confusing and shows a lot of artists I do not follow. On the contrary, spotifyreleaselist.netlify.app works really well and shows only the artists I follow! I recommend you to use it.

This-App-Stinks

If this isn’t implemented soon and permanently I am switching to Apple Music. I don’t know what the product team is smoking but this UX sucks and Release Radar isnt a solution. JUST GIVE ME AN EASY WAY TO BROWSE NEW RELEASES FROM ARTISTS I FOLLOW!!! 

SoundsofSaving

Hi all,

swarm.fm has been problematic for awhile. I found a solution that works for me. It’s an app called crab hands. Check it out:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/crabhands-new-music-festivals/id1277138090 

grandterr

@SoundsofSaving I better switch to apple music or tidal completely. 

grandterr

Isn't it cute how spotify's Status Update says "our teams feel this is currently fulfilled by our Release Radar playlist"?

Ok guys, the spotify developers like it as it is, so everybody should be content with it as well...

grandterr

It's a pattern with Spotify, first they throw in garbage in your follow feed. Then they throw in garbage podcasts everywhere in the app. Then they throw in everything in "your library" tab so it becomes a pile of unorganised garbage. What's next? Spotify being just a list of random songs? 

This is idiocracy. Or are the majority of spotify users like unorganised garbage? Though it should not prevent Spotify from creating a few options for people who want normal stuff. Follow feed is one of the most fundamental things, why would I follow anybody if there's isn't a way to see them properly?

Spotify is like facebook, a large company managing one service, ONE! Yet they move like a snail.

This-App-Stinks
Yea it definitely feels like we are just being experimented on with frustrating UI patterns that no doubt align with corporate goals to push is in certain directions. I don’t want to see podcasts - especially ones i find offensive, but i have no choice I am forces to see then as like the second thing on my screen every time i open the app. I have never ever clicked on any of these mainstream “New Releases” the force on me - yet no choice. The one thing I actually give a **bleep** about - NEW RELEASES FROM BANDS I FOLLOW - keeps getting worse and worse, moved to different spots, hidden deeper and deeper in hard to find places, and now apprently its essentially gone. The answer of “well we think Release Radar does this same thing” is annoying as **bleep** - it absolutely dowa not. I mean, the old Spotify used to alert me when a band i follow had a new release, now its like if i don’t already know before hand then I will have no clue - WHAT IS THE POINT OF SPOTIFY THEN? I honestly sont know what kind of drugs the designers are smoking over there, I can only assume that its some gross executive forcing their team to build deceptive/frustrating UI partterns in service of some nefarious profit goal dictated to them by some record label and podcasters or juked in a way to create an analytical picture that frames their business favorably for stakeholders (“see our podcast listeners are up 10% this quarter! kids love podcasts! we are going to dominate the podcast market by shoving podcasts down our users throats wether they like it or not! what”). This app a genuinely bad user experience and you have no recourse but to complain on this forum, feed app requests into their peoduct black hole or switch to Apple Music. I have been doing the first two for yearz, currently investigating the third option.
This-App-Stinks
I agree that its a really frustrating reply to this request. If Release Radar covered what I was asking for I wouldn’t be wasting my time on this forum. Release Radar is just a way to CYA while bending the entire user experience to generate stats that please stakeholder meetings.
d-roam

Surprised no one else has commented on this yet, but Spotify finally implemented a version of this!! I opened up Spotify yesterday to see this new icon on my Home Screen:

82E643DF-486C-4DF4-891E-F2F4835D4C52.jpeg

Before I tapped on it it has a blue dot on it, indicating “new” stuff, I assume. Upon clicking it, I got this screen:

4A7475C0-10D1-46F7-AE82-FE0D652C15DD.png

This appears to be all of the new releases from the artists I follow, and ONLY the artists I follow, going back to about a month ago! It lists them in reverse chronological order (most recent first), and displays them by type (album, single, EP). Tapping on a release takes you to its detail page where you can see its artists, all songs in the album/EP, etc. All great so far!

There are a few things left to be desired... there’s no “play all” button. You have to go thru one by one and queue what you want to play. There’s also no menu button on each release to queue it or add it to a playlist, or a play button to start playing the release immediately. You have to tap on it and go to its detail page to do those things. 

It also doesn’t go as far back in time as I would like. If we’d had this feature all along, a month might be fine. But since I’ve been missing out on who knows how many releases for the past several years, it would be nice to be able to go back further and discover some of those. 

But all in all, I’m thrilled that Spotify implemented this as it is. It meets the core need of this idea which is to not miss out on new releases from your followed artists, and it meets that need really well!! 

I hope more improvements come to this feed in the future, but either way a huge thanks to Spotify for finally listening and giving us this incredibly useful way to catch ALL the releases by the artists WE care about!