Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] New Releases Section for Followed Artists

Please add a section to the desktop and mobile apps where we can see all of the new releases from the artists we follow. When artists release new music, their fans want a way to find it directly in Spotify without having to rely on social media or elsewhere away from the Spotify app. The Release Radar playlist by Spotify only shows some new releases and then it disappears a week later.

This new section would act as a "feed" and update automatically when a new album from an artist you follow is available on Spotify. Please make the feed have a high display limit so we can go back months and months and for sure won't miss any releases.

For a third party solution check out (PLEASE IMPLEMENT IT LIKE THIS)

https://spotifyreleaselist.netlify.app

---> Check out my guide on how to use this third party web app

Screenshot from https://spotifyreleaselist.netlify.app:

screenshot

The problem with the current "new releases" section is that it doesn't show new releases from artists you follow. It only show the most popular new releases. The only way right now to find new releases is to go to the artist's page and hunt around for the new release or use the Release Radar playlist.

The Release Radar playlist is not what we want. The problem with the Release Radar playlist is that it mixes in suggestions. I want to see followed artists ONLY. And if you check the playlist a week too late, all the songs are GONE.

We need a feed that we can scroll back months and months and months so we can see all the new releases from the artists we follow. We shouldn't have to rush through it and it be gone the next week.

Updated on 2019-10-16

Hi everyone, we've recently reviewed this idea and will keep its status as is for now.

For clarity's sake, here's the relevant section from our previous status update:

"..our teams feel this is currently fulfilled by our Release Radar playlistWith Release Radar, we’re giving you a weekly selection of the newest releases that matter most to you in one convenient playlist. You’ll get all of your new favorite music, without any of the effort that goes into searching for the latest gems."

Comments
rwcoyote

This hasn't been added to mine...  where are you from? I'm in the UK? 

d-roam

I’m in the US. However, Spotify sometimes rolls out features incrementally. Make sure you’re on the latest version but even then you may not see it until they “push” it to you as a user. So it make take some time. But if it is a permanent feature, and not just a beta test, you should hopefully see it soon!

rwcoyote
Ah great! Just had a scroll trhough some of the other updates and that bell
feature isn't here yet but some of the others are.

Really annoying that they still dont stipulate between albums and singles
on new releases. the fact you have to go into the song to find out is
annoying!
Zero_Inch
I don’t believe it. That must be a joke.

Since two weeks new releases/release radar are even better hidden than before.

And the latest update on the desktop version doesn't have an "artist" column anymore, but a "added on" column (who ever cares about that?) and a lot of empty space. Maybe they swapped mobile and desktop versions? It’s ridiculous.

Can I undo this? Any chance to get the old version back?

pcc

I now see the bell on my mobile device app also, but this whole thing started with the bell notification on the Windows Desktop App disappearing, not mobile, and I still don't see it back on the desktop app even with the new update just a few days ago.  Yes, it is great that they added it to the mobile app, but all they do with the desktop app is continue to make it worse.  The bottom line here is that Spotify doesn't care about their paying music consuming customers.  They only care about the record labels who are paying them to manipulate the user experience to there benefit.

rwcoyote
Hmmm, interesting, i only listen to what i listen to, so i don't see the
'other stuff' that i see a lot of people commenting on or getting
frustrated at. I don't tend to use their playlists at all, unless i'm
feeling lazy.

My biggest issue with Spotify is that I would love a country wide list of
new albums every week, regardless if I follow them or not, same with
singles. Then I can scroll through at my leisure what I want to listen to.
At the moment I use other sites to tell me new releases from artists I
follow, and I get a list of other random new stuff from other sites like
bandcamp that help to introduce me to new music.

I'm just getting a feel to the new look of the desktop and there are some
interesting additions, but not looked to closely yet.
lucMC

just experienced an issue with the Release Radar.

An artist that I'm following releases a new single, no trace of that in spotify at all.

I would at least expect the Release Radar to be more visual about that, but no indication at all.

What's the use of following an artist if new releases are not clearly indicated?

This is just serving as a navigation button under the 'artists' section, and there are already other ways to do this....

This-App-Stinks
Its complete madness that staying on top of new music is the hardest thing to do on Spotify. You have to follow accounts on totally separate platforms to know when a band THAT YOU FOLLOW ON SPOTIFY has a new release. Mind boggling.
d-roam

Nooo!! I got on Spotify the other day and the “new releases” notification bell was no longer there 😞 I guess it really was just an experimental feature. This is truly disappointing. It really was a fantastic experience while I had it. I can’t say how nice it was to see every release from artists I follow, and not constantly feel like I’m probably missing out on things. 

Now that feeling is back, and I have to say, my frequency of getting on Spotify to check out what’s new (and then find something to listen to regardless) has greatly decreased in the days since the feed disappeared. I really listened to more music when that button was there. There was a draw to get on Spotify and see what my favorite artists have released. Now that draw is gone, replaced by that old familiar dread of sifting through the junk in the Release Radar to find the few releases I actually care about, and knowing that I’m probably missing some.

I really hope this feature is returned soon (for everyone).

MateusM

Hi @d-roam!

I understand and agree with you. I saw some people reporting seeing this feature on their home screen. I hope Spotify brings back this feature too, it would be very interesting!