Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] New Releases Section for Followed Artists

Please add a section to the desktop and mobile apps where we can see all of the new releases from the artists we follow. When artists release new music, their fans want a way to find it directly in Spotify without having to rely on social media or elsewhere away from the Spotify app. The Release Radar playlist by Spotify only shows some new releases and then it disappears a week later.

This new section would act as a "feed" and update automatically when a new album from an artist you follow is available on Spotify. Please make the feed have a high display limit so we can go back months and months and for sure won't miss any releases.

For a third party solution check out (PLEASE IMPLEMENT IT LIKE THIS)

https://spotifyreleaselist.netlify.app

---> Check out my guide on how to use this third party web app

Screenshot from https://spotifyreleaselist.netlify.app:

screenshot

The problem with the current "new releases" section is that it doesn't show new releases from artists you follow. It only show the most popular new releases. The only way right now to find new releases is to go to the artist's page and hunt around for the new release or use the Release Radar playlist.

The Release Radar playlist is not what we want. The problem with the Release Radar playlist is that it mixes in suggestions. I want to see followed artists ONLY. And if you check the playlist a week too late, all the songs are GONE.

We need a feed that we can scroll back months and months and months so we can see all the new releases from the artists we follow. We shouldn't have to rush through it and it be gone the next week.

Updated on 2019-10-16

Hi everyone, we've recently reviewed this idea and will keep its status as is for now.

For clarity's sake, here's the relevant section from our previous status update:

"..our teams feel this is currently fulfilled by our Release Radar playlistWith Release Radar, we’re giving you a weekly selection of the newest releases that matter most to you in one convenient playlist. You’ll get all of your new favorite music, without any of the effort that goes into searching for the latest gems."

Comments
fbracht

It's okay, Spotify. I am now an Apple Music user, enjoying my always-updated New Releases section over there, so keep doing you. 

There's a difference between trying to manipulate your users into listening to playlists and podcasts and just trying to offer a good service for music lovers. It's the difference between Spotify and Apple Music.

d-roam

"..our teams feel this is currently fulfilled by our Release Radar playlist."

Your teams are wrong. The Release Radar does a horrible job of fulfilling this need, and the community response confirms this.

"With Release Radar, we’re giving you a weekly selection of the newest releases that matter most to you"

No, you are not! This is such an absurd statement. The artists I've followed are the ones that matter most to me. Not the random artists sprinkled into the Release Radar that I don't even want to listen to.

"You’ll get all of your new favorite music"

Also blatantly wrong! The Release Radar only includes a single song from a fraction of the new albums released by my Followed artists. If I relied on the Release Radar, "without any of the effort that goes into searching for the latest gems", I'd miss out on the majority of the latest gems!

I can't believe Spotify is sticking with this as the official statement when it's clearly completely wrong.

acrookedsmile

of course @d-roam is right that "With Release Radar, we’re giving you a weekly selection of the newest releases that matter most to you" is an absurd statement. I clicked on Per's profile and apparently there's a message mechanism and perhaps it's better to message directly rather than posting in the forum.

Also, it's simply a matter of fact that users decide which music matters to them, not managers.

In the meantime, use the excellent www.spotifyradar.com website to find the latest releases by artists you follow.

rwcoyote

This is all very well, although i would prefer a generic list of new relaeses split into singles and albums... not just from artists i follow... but a generic list, for me to scroll through...  

If they can prepare a daily mix... surely they can do a weekly singles and a weekly albums list... 

fbracht

Guys, I appreciate and understand the sentiment behind sharing tools and websites that cover this functionality for Spotify, but when you promote this tools under Spotify's nose in this thread all you're saying is "don't bother building the functionality into the product, because other third party are picking up your slack".

Demand this FROM SPOTIFY, or move to a competing service like I did. 

Allenmb

I love the idea of this. For the most part, Release Radar is very helpful, but if I forget to check that playlist for a few weeks, I'll miss out on my followed artists releases unless I actively search for them.

Also related to this, I just noticed for the first time that an artist I'm following released an album, and no songs from it showed up on my release radar, I only found it by seeing a post on Facebook from the artist. Has anyone else seen this happen? This makes me wonder how many releases I've missed because it didn't show up on my Release Radar

RMFFBS

Labrinth released an album 5 *ducking days ago, and I didn't know. No notification. No pop-up when opening the app. Why??!?

I've followed this man for 7 years. My very first playlist includes this genius. What even is the point of "FOLLOWING" then?

To be fair, his album is first to show up under "New Releases For You" which is where I discovered it.

But this section is 7 rows down in the Android app, where I only scrolled to accidentally.

WE NEED:

Out-of-App release notifications for followed artists, albums and singles! Within 10 minutes after release!

AB_B

Dear Spotify, since Alle Farben started releasing music on a mainstream level you keep adding him to my release radar. Every single time I mark the track as "I don't like this song" and every next release you add the track to my release radar again. You're algorithm should know by now, but it's like you automatically put Alle Farben Releases in Release radars. Is there a strategy behind? Does Spotify support Alle Farben? I am so annoyed. That's the only reason I registered for this community, to tell you, please stop adding Alle Farben to my release radar, it doesn't fit at all. 

pcc

They. Don’t. Care. 

pcc

It is very clear that Spotify doesn't give two shits about their paying customers.  They still refuse to bring back the bell new music notification system and  now the Windows version of the desktop app has been broken for 6 weeks with no real attempt to fix it.  You would think they would just roll back to the previous version so that their paying customers at least have a working desktop app...but no...they won't do that and instead released another broken version.  Spotify is lucky that their mobile app is user friendly and their overall music collection is the the largest available from streaming companies or everyone would dump them do to their crappy customer service.  I've stopped paying for premium service several times because of their horrible customer service and I'm about to drop them again if they don't fix the damn desktop app.