Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] New Releases Section for Followed Artists

Please add a section to the desktop and mobile apps where we can see all of the new releases from the artists we follow. When artists release new music, their fans want a way to find it directly in Spotify without having to rely on social media or elsewhere away from the Spotify app. The Release Radar playlist by Spotify only shows some new releases and then it disappears a week later.

This new section would act as a "feed" and update automatically when a new album from an artist you follow is available on Spotify. Please make the feed have a high display limit so we can go back months and months and for sure won't miss any releases.

For a third party solution check out (PLEASE IMPLEMENT IT LIKE THIS)

https://spotifyreleaselist.netlify.app

---> Check out my guide on how to use this third party web app

Screenshot from https://spotifyreleaselist.netlify.app:

screenshot

The problem with the current "new releases" section is that it doesn't show new releases from artists you follow. It only show the most popular new releases. The only way right now to find new releases is to go to the artist's page and hunt around for the new release or use the Release Radar playlist.

The Release Radar playlist is not what we want. The problem with the Release Radar playlist is that it mixes in suggestions. I want to see followed artists ONLY. And if you check the playlist a week too late, all the songs are GONE.

We need a feed that we can scroll back months and months and months so we can see all the new releases from the artists we follow. We shouldn't have to rush through it and it be gone the next week.

Updated on 2019-10-16

Hi everyone, we've recently reviewed this idea and will keep its status as is for now.

For clarity's sake, here's the relevant section from our previous status update:

"..our teams feel this is currently fulfilled by our Release Radar playlistWith Release Radar, we’re giving you a weekly selection of the newest releases that matter most to you in one convenient playlist. You’ll get all of your new favorite music, without any of the effort that goes into searching for the latest gems."

Comments
fbracht

UIs are usually a matter of getting used to a new thing. It's weird at first, then you start getting used to it and even seeing the good parts as well — there's more to love on Apple Music other than the New Releases section. Their lyrics feature is gorgeous, and their authored playlists feel like they were made by knowledgeable humans (because they are) instead of an algorithm. 

As for iTunes, it's not even a thing anymore: https://gearpatrol.com/2019/07/21/itunes-dead-how-to-back-up/ 

Sure, the Music app that replaces it inherited a few parts of its design, and there are improvements to be made, but it isn't the bloated mess it used to be. 

I'm sorry to be such an apologist for this service, and I do really some people might see me as an Apple shill. I'm not. I'm just someone who got fed up with not being cared for on Spotify, decided to jump the fence and check if the grass was greener on the other side. And it was. It is. I miss certain stuff on Spotify (like the end-of-year retrospective, although Apple is beginning to catch up on that), and it sure is a drag being the only odd one out among my friends (all of which are Spotify users) and having to search for the Spotify link on Google whenever I want to recommend an album. But other than that, it's been great. 

Every time I have a notification for a new reply in this thread I become reassured I made the right choice.

rwcoyote
Yeh... i just want new albums, not singles... i wish they separated them
out...
pcc

Except iTunes is still a thing on Windows PC. They do not have separate apps for Windows, which is what I listen to music on all day at work 5 days per week. And I also have several friends who also use Spotify and we have collaborative playlists together. So switching to something else would cause me to lose that interaction with them, which I enjoy. 

fbracht
And THAT'S how they get ya.
pcc

I’ve switched before.  I’ve used Apple Music, Tidal, and Google Play music in the past for up to 6 months each. Spotify has its issues and they really really don’t care about their paying customers.  I would have stuck with Tidal but their catalogue is severely lacking a lot of music that I listen to.  I have not tried Amazon’s premium music yet so I will probably give that a try next. 

Lewball

You've decided Release Radar does the same? What a load of **bleep**! It's nothing like what we want. The algorithm is much less complex to Release Radar yet way more useful. Get rid of release radar we want a better New Releases section!

djMaximizer

The offer status is not correct, the administrator did not understand the requested function

Agent000Zero

Spotify, please bring back the notifications of distinct new releases! The Release Radar playlist is woefully inadequate in this regard. I want a notification icon when an artist that I've specifically followed releases a new album, single, etc. I don't want to have to manually sift through the Release Radar playlist every week. I want to be notified immediately of a new release. The playlist doesn't even show every new release (e.g. if an entire album is released, it just picks a random song from it)! There's no way to tell if a new release in the playlist is an entire album or a single, since it's just arbitrarily ordered individual songs. I want a chronological list of every release of every artist I follow with read/unread markers on them so I know what music I've missed out on. I've missed SO many great album releases because the notifications were removed years ago.

rwcoyote
Yes! I have been banging on about this for ages!!
LGstudio

It's 2020 and this song/album release timeline is still missing.
Release radar, and weekly discovery is a joke, full of songs by artist I am not following and even different genre I mostly listen.