Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] New Releases Section for Followed Artists

Please add a section to the desktop and mobile apps where we can see all of the new releases from the artists we follow. When artists release new music, their fans want a way to find it directly in Spotify without having to rely on social media or elsewhere away from the Spotify app. The Release Radar playlist by Spotify only shows some new releases and then it disappears a week later.

This new section would act as a "feed" and update automatically when a new album from an artist you follow is available on Spotify. Please make the feed have a high display limit so we can go back months and months and for sure won't miss any releases.

For a third party solution check out (PLEASE IMPLEMENT IT LIKE THIS)

https://spotifyreleaselist.netlify.app

---> Check out my guide on how to use this third party web app

Screenshot from https://spotifyreleaselist.netlify.app:

screenshot

The problem with the current "new releases" section is that it doesn't show new releases from artists you follow. It only show the most popular new releases. The only way right now to find new releases is to go to the artist's page and hunt around for the new release or use the Release Radar playlist.

The Release Radar playlist is not what we want. The problem with the Release Radar playlist is that it mixes in suggestions. I want to see followed artists ONLY. And if you check the playlist a week too late, all the songs are GONE.

We need a feed that we can scroll back months and months and months so we can see all the new releases from the artists we follow. We shouldn't have to rush through it and it be gone the next week.

Updated on 2019-10-16

Hi everyone, we've recently reviewed this idea and will keep its status as is for now.

For clarity's sake, here's the relevant section from our previous status update:

"..our teams feel this is currently fulfilled by our Release Radar playlistWith Release Radar, we’re giving you a weekly selection of the newest releases that matter most to you in one convenient playlist. You’ll get all of your new favorite music, without any of the effort that goes into searching for the latest gems."

Comments
grandterr

Is it a joke? I don't want to see artists I am not following!!!

You think it's automation? No, it's trash. From this it's not far to trust automation with controlling your life.

rwcoyote
I don't agree, I want a list of everything that's new so that I can make up
my own mind. I often discover great new artists that way by randomly
playing something. If it's just a list of folks i follow i have to work
harder at finding new music.
Spinnangr
Sorry but your not understand the problem I think 😄
What you talking about is something different. That you have NEW RELEASE
and random playing music after your own settlist is finnish.
What Im talking about is Release Radar. Thats made for you and what you are
lissening to. There it is new (you never heard about and that could be
cool) old artist. Thats great! But you should have the ability not want new
artist and disqualify remixes and others artist that you dont want in
there. (maybe you have kids/wife/husband/girl/boyfriend and they use your
Spotify in the house/car with you. Then it can mess up your kind of music)
Spotify have done something about it now but I dont know how or if it
works. You can now dislike song and artist when you use your spotify on
pc/mac
rwcoyote
Thanks for the clarification, I think the problems are so nuanced for each
of us in different ways. The release radar doesn't do it for me,
it's guessing for me... i don't want that... you also have to go to each
song and see if it's part of an album or not, it's a real pain! I would
love a list each week of all the albums released that week that are put up
on spotify that i could scroll through. Same could and should be done for
singles.
zardox
To inform Spotify members/subscribers about new releases there could be three (3) lists (why not, you can have any number of playlists):

1) All releases that have come out in the past x number of months for ALL artists currently on YOUR own followed list of artitts. Only releases from those artists. There could be none.

2) Release radar as it exists now, that is, newly released material from what Spotify algorithms indicate is the music you like.

3) Releases from ALL artists regardless of who you like or follow.

rwcoyote
Yeh that could work, i would still want that bottom category split up into
singles and albums, I rarely listen to single songs and always listen to
full albums.
captainjman2

Release Radar sucks. Whats the point of following an artist if I have no where to go to see what I am following.

LotusViridis

Release radar kind of works, kind of doesn't. There's two major problems: 

1. Release radar songs expire after a month. Sometimes I simply can't get to every new release by the time it is a month old. After it's off of release radar, then what? It's basically nonexistent unless I check the artist page. 

Solution: THIS IDEA. Have a permanent place we can see all new releases that never go away. To avoid clutter, just group it by artist and simply show that we have "new" songs from that artist. Then when we click the artist, we can see all the songs we have yet to listen to that have released since we last checked. 

2. Release radar has songs from people we DO NOT FOLLOW. 

Solution: THIS IDEA. Including non-followed artists may be great for someone new to spotify or someone who doesn't use the "follow" feature much. But I follow roughly 600 artists, and there are other power users who follow much more than that. I'm good. I want my radar to be strictly the ones I follow at this point. 

Extra solution: MAKE RELEASE RADAR CUSTOMIZABLE. Let us choose if we want suggested artists or not. Let us choose how long a song stays in our release radar for, including a permanently feature. If you're not going to let us customize it, then offer us the alternative that we want. 

MateusM

Spotify was working on this, it was the Follow Feed

Spotify-Follow-Feed-1-473x1024.jpg

But I think Spotify stopped working on this with the new update on Home Hub, bringing released songs from artists you follow to home. 

I prefer the Follow Feed, it's so complete and interesting, a great way to discover new songs!

MateusM

Where is this feature? It has been passed 2378 days since this idea was submitted and it has 2,122 upvotes.