Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] New Releases Section for Followed Artists

Please add a section to the desktop and mobile apps where we can see all of the new releases from the artists we follow. When artists release new music, their fans want a way to find it directly in Spotify without having to rely on social media or elsewhere away from the Spotify app. The Release Radar playlist by Spotify only shows some new releases and then it disappears a week later.

This new section would act as a "feed" and update automatically when a new album from an artist you follow is available on Spotify. Please make the feed have a high display limit so we can go back months and months and for sure won't miss any releases.

For a third party solution check out (PLEASE IMPLEMENT IT LIKE THIS)

https://spotifyreleaselist.netlify.app

---> Check out my guide on how to use this third party web app

Screenshot from https://spotifyreleaselist.netlify.app:

screenshot

The problem with the current "new releases" section is that it doesn't show new releases from artists you follow. It only show the most popular new releases. The only way right now to find new releases is to go to the artist's page and hunt around for the new release or use the Release Radar playlist.

The Release Radar playlist is not what we want. The problem with the Release Radar playlist is that it mixes in suggestions. I want to see followed artists ONLY. And if you check the playlist a week too late, all the songs are GONE.

We need a feed that we can scroll back months and months and months so we can see all the new releases from the artists we follow. We shouldn't have to rush through it and it be gone the next week.

Updated on 2019-10-16

Hi everyone, we've recently reviewed this idea and will keep its status as is for now.

For clarity's sake, here's the relevant section from our previous status update:

"..our teams feel this is currently fulfilled by our Release Radar playlistWith Release Radar, we’re giving you a weekly selection of the newest releases that matter most to you in one convenient playlist. You’ll get all of your new favorite music, without any of the effort that goes into searching for the latest gems."

Comments
rwcoyote

This is great! Lets see if it really makes a difference.

This-App-Stinks
I don’t see anything like this on mobile or desktop. Even their releases are obtuse and unreliable, I swear they work hard to make this trlhe dumbest app on Earth.

This-App-Stinks

Still can't get New Releases From Artists I Follow on the homepage, but hey at least I get to be force fed podcasts (which I never listen to) and propaganda (from a Swedish company). Why the **bleep** do I pay 15/month again?

Screen Shot 2021-08-17 at 9.13.30 AM.png

ÆDEOLA

35AE6D38-11AF-49BC-A1DC-F18FC2C1BAC7.png

BEFBAC4E-052B-4F45-AE5A-0ED906A0A35C.png

Got the feature this afternoon. It was already in the codebase and was probably rolled out using “ “remote config” . The question is why? If they are using A/B testing to test the feature, why hold on and roll it out to different parts of the world over a long period of time. Server issues, licenses, business decisions? 

This same treatment is what the live lyrics feature is also receiving. I’m still happy and appreciate this! 
Cheers!

CharlieCreston

I'm glad to see a variation of this showing up under the bell... so is there possible an ETA for a Desktop variant? I'd like to be able to check when there are new releases while I'm listening on my PC too!

MattSuda

UPDATE from the idea poster:

Some good news happened recently. Spotify recently announced a new "Whats New feed" for the mobile app. With this new feed you will be able to see new releases from the artists and podcasts you follow.

While I would not consider my idea implemented just yet, it is an improvement to the situation. You still can't see "all releases" going back months since it is limited and it is not available in the desktop app and web player. I still recommend the linked third party app for more advanced users who follow many artists and need to see new releases going months back.

Read the Spotify news article for more info:

Spotify’s What’s New Feed Means You’ll Never Miss the Latest Releases From the Shows and Artists You... 

rwcoyote

Yeah, i would agree! its a step towards what we require, it could do with being added to the desk top! 

howlettga

I feel like Spotify's response here demonstrates they do not understand how a large contingent of their users consume music. Release Radar is not adequate for finding new album releases. I like to listen to my favorite artists' entire albums. Because of this currently the only way to find them is for each week to click every song in my release radar and check if it is from a new studio album and not a single. This is a ridiculous amount of repetitive work every week that could be remedied simply by created a "Favorite Artists New Releases" view.

rwcoyote

Yeah, i'm not sure why they can't split new albums, new singles, and new EP's? It seems very odd! I have been saying that i want a New Albums feature so i can see not just bands i follow but other bands/artists, i might check out a new album from someone i have never heard of based on the title or the art work or just for curiosity. 

This-App-Stinks
The only possible answer is the know and don’t care because they want to force users into using it their way (likely in line with analytics that please stakeholders and usage that aligns with sponsors). The most frustrating thing is that they constantly change the UI so one day there is a New Releases section, then the next day its gone then the next day its in a different place. INFURIATINGly poor UI and UX, their designers must be frustrated to no end being forced to do this (or they are smoking something strong and think this is good?). The thing that lets you know Spotify doesn’t care about their customers is that there is no support and theh just dump us into these forums to complain amongst ourselves and nothing changes. If we are lucky we get some poor customer service person to hop in and copy/paste a platitudein our direction. Super disappointing product experience, Spotify UX was infinitely better a decade ago. But hey - at least I have a dedicated podcasts block first thing on my page so that Spotify can force content I have zero interat in on me!