Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Please add a "Not Interested" Button

As the title suggests, it would be useful if Spotify had a "not interested" button like YouTube does for videos. I have been using Spotify for many years and still receive a lot of recommendations for playlists and podcasts that I am simply not interested in. One such example is "Learn Korean and Korean Culture" by jerry. I have no interest in learning Korean whatsoever, so it would be useful for me to remove recommendations such as these.

Updated on 2023-06-14

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the support and feedback you've given to this idea!

We have some exciting news to share with you: in the mobile app, it's now possible to remove content recommendations from the subfeeds (Music and Podcasts & Shows) of your Home screen by tapping Not interested in the context menu of the cards:

Novy_0-1686755794208.png

The content you mark as "not interested" will instantly be removed from your subfeed and won't show up again. Any other songs/albums/episodes by that artist/podcast show will also be filtered out from future recommendations.

After tapping Not interested, an Undo button will pop up at the bottom of the screen for a short time so you can revert the changes.

Keep in mind that this feature is gradually rolling out, so if you don't see the button in the context menu of the cards, we'd recommend making sure that you're running the latest version of Spotify. If you're having trouble with, or have any other questions about this feature, feel free to reach out in the relevant Help board here.

Thanks again for helping us make Spotify better. We're always striving to provide the best possible user experience and your feedback is always appreciated.

Comments
jquaggles

I've seen similar ideas here: 

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/Discover-Remove-Suggestions-from-Discover-Page/idi-p/4...

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Closed-Ideas/All-Platforms-Block-disallow-suggestions-for-certain-c...

This idea has been open over a year now. 

I highly suggest this as an option, and I'd ask that someone looks into how the recommendation engine works overall. 

I had a "More Like" Suggest for an artist I listen to often and the suggestion was "Calm Labor & Delivery." My wife and I had a very traumatic miscarriage recently and seeing this show up on my dashboard was definitely not okay for me.  

Please add this feature.

KDao18

Also, anyway can we block out an entire music genre? There are some genres that I want to block out of spite since I have no interest in listening to said genre.

Kmg8043

Get on it already, laziness in it's purest form with shotty algorithms 

pixelmonk1

they won't do anything.  This has been requested multiple times, one of which got up to 10k likes and they shut it down.  They're not interested in letting people customize their music feeds.  They don't care that you don't want to see podcasts, or flavors of the month, or music you could care less about.    They don't want you to have a customized feed, but they'll gladly take your money for Premium while doing the minimum on the platform.   Again, this has been requested multiple times and this particular request was opened in 2021.   They're clearly not interested in listening to their customers.

Blujj

we are still waiting Spotify 

Anmol1590

3,400+ upvotes. Spotify devs wake up.

Stephen_

Keep this thread active! Make sure you share it in places that can bring in more votes from people that might be having the same frustrations, like Twitter, or Reddit when appropriate.

Spotify has dragged it's feet on popular issues in the past but eventually gives in sometimes if there's sustained activity.

Stephen_

Just to acknowledge, Spotify does have this in some places, but it needs to have it in any place where it recommends new content for you (e.g. erotic podcasts, podcasts on topics that are sensitive for a user, or podcasts or music with cover art that a user personally finds inappropriate).

It's not particularly important that this choice impacts recommendation learning at first, it just needs to add the item to a list and not recommend that item anymore. I know reworking the recommender system to learn from "not interested" selections might take more time. But a simple filter is a much smaller and manageable change.

Screenshot_20230208-132446.png

withoutaph

This is extremely needed. I'm so sick of having things recommended to me that I have no interest in whatsoever and not being able to do anything about it. An "I don't like it" or "I'm not interested" button would be the perfect solution to this problem.

sobekneferu

This suggestion really resonates with me. Yes, it would be helpful for podcasts that I will never ever listen to, but also what feels like an even bigger need to me is to use it to remove recommendations after I've listened to part of one episode. Having started one episode DOES NOT mean I'd like it recommended for the rest of my life. I tried it, don't like it, now get it away from me! 😅