Announcements

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[Discover] Please add a "Not Interested" Button

As the title suggests, it would be useful if Spotify had a "not interested" button like YouTube does for videos. I have been using Spotify for many years and still receive a lot of recommendations for playlists and podcasts that I am simply not interested in. One such example is "Learn Korean and Korean Culture" by jerry. I have no interest in learning Korean whatsoever, so it would be useful for me to remove recommendations such as these.

Updated on 2023-06-14

Hi everyone,

Thank you for all the support and feedback you've given to this idea!

We have some exciting news to share with you: in the mobile app, it's now possible to remove content recommendations from the subfeeds (Music and Podcasts & Shows) of your Home screen by tapping Not interested in the context menu of the cards:

Novy_0-1686755794208.png

The content you mark as "not interested" will instantly be removed from your subfeed and won't show up again. Any other songs/albums/episodes by that artist/podcast show will also be filtered out from future recommendations.

After tapping Not interested, an Undo button will pop up at the bottom of the screen for a short time so you can revert the changes.

Keep in mind that this feature is gradually rolling out, so if you don't see the button in the context menu of the cards, we'd recommend making sure that you're running the latest version of Spotify. If you're having trouble with, or have any other questions about this feature, feel free to reach out in the relevant Help board here.

Thanks again for helping us make Spotify better. We're always striving to provide the best possible user experience and your feedback is always appreciated.

Comments
K22Dragon

It is been really annoying lately about the (Shows to try), why should I be interested in A "SHITSHOW" !! And always shows at the top of the home page. 

Di99sy

Yes! Would definitely be greatly appreciated to influence the algorithm either way! I'm sure a change like this would come with some bugs that'd need ironing out but worth it in the long run -I'm down for the cause.

arumble19

This idea along with all of the comments are exactly what I came to the community page for. The comments align completely with the original idea and my own personal opinion because it is what everyone wants. Spotify is the only platform I use in which doesn’t allow me to say “no” to suggestions and it’s unacceptable with where technology sits with algorithms. 

The “for you” sections on the homepage are filled with far more suggestions I’m not interested in than anything I am. With that, I don’t feel like scrolling through a sea of garbage just to MAYBE find a suggestion I would actually click on. I don’t even use my home page because it’s so frustrating to see PERSONALLY tailored suggestions that clearly are not for me in any way. This also means I use Spotify FAR less than I would if I had the ability to say “no not for me, not interested”. 

I would however LOVE to click “not interested” and have a brand new recommendation pop up to replace it! 

Bottom line I rarely see fresh recommendations and suggestions on my home page, meanwhile far too many I am not interested are all I see. Spotify and users could work together to remedy this. Until then, YouTube wins as far as having a truthful claim to statements such as “personalized”. 

Personal preferences on anything are NOT accurate based solely on what you like, but also what you dislike. Both sets of information are necessary otherwise inaccurate. 

dgray

Good idea! It's must have. I want to have a button in context menu of my app like "i hate it" (which means NEVER SHOW/SUGGEST IT FOR ME!) It'll be really very useful for many users. Thanks)

madmodgirl

There is actually a thread about not having a dislike button already if you want to check that out.  https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/All-Platforms-quot-Don-t-Like-Button-quot-should-be-adde...
One for podcasts would be totally new and that sounds cool too.

Lighthill

Ive Been thinking this too

Rapist

Yes! I reached out to support for help not recommending a podcast about "adventuress" gays for a lack of a better term.

Their response is I need to change up what podcasts I listen to in the hopes it changes algorithm.

I've only watched 2 episodes of a podcast ever... nothing to do with gay people... 

Spotify, I don't want to 'order men like pizza' or be a 'back-seat rider' please just add the NOT INTERESTED!  button. 

2022 is on the doors and Spotify still don't have "NOT INTERESTED" option. 
come on guys you can do better.

I want to remove**bleep** Show", been there for a long time along with other podcasts that I'm completely not interested in. 

IMG_20211114_113740.jpg 

RahulM810

This is a must-have feature.  It's incredibly annoying to see irrelevant podcast recommendations on the top of the homepage. Recommendation feedback is a common feature in almost every app these days. Not having it just deteriorates the user experience. Please add this 🙏.

noahmills18

Seeing as I am a person with strong personal convictions about the things I see and the content I consume, I see this as the biggest issue I have with Spotify. I believe this idea really needs to be brought to the light a lot more. I listen to nothing else but Christian/worship music, I have explicit content turned off, and as well I don’t listen to podcasts on Spotify. Yet when I open my app, I see a podcast with naked women as the thumbnail come on my recommendations when I have done nothing to the algorithm for this to come up. The only reason I can think of is it’s popularity. This is a PROBLEM! I could not imagine if I had kids that needed to use my phone, or my wife hoping on Spotify to see this on my Home Screen. If anyone with the power to fix this see’s this,  I strongly want to urge you to help.