Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

Displaying album credits

I understand that including all album artwork is considered a premium feature, but at the same time, all people who participated in the making of an album should be credited for their work. Musicians, composers, producers, engineers and everybody involved - plus all the "special thanks" - people, deserve to be credited.

This could be implemented by simply displaying the album credits in text form, along with the original front album cover and tracklist. No lyrics, pictures or bonus features, just the credits. Not linking, but displaying the credits along with the album front cover + tracklist by default, in all versions of Spotify. The complete album artwork could still be a Spotify Premium-feature, with this approach.

This is not a feature for the listener - most people don't care much about songwriters or who plays bass on track five of this album, but from the perspective of the music creators, this is very important - their (ok, our) careers depend on these little things. Being associated with the music you've recorded (or written, engineered for et c) is still a very important part of building a career in this business.

Updated on 2018-02-05

Hey folks! We’re very excited to announce the launch of the first iteration of Spotify’s new songwriter credits feature.

Spotify users around the world can now view songwriter and producer credits for tracks on the desktop platform and on iOS. 

On desktop, simply right-click on a track and select “Show Credits” from the menu of options to view information on performers, songwriters and producers.

To read more about the information we're sharing please click here.

song writer credits.jpg

Comments
a_l_j_w

I'm very dissapointed the status of this five-year-old idea is "Not right now". As a listener I'm interested to see who helped creating the music and I think it's very important to give credit where credit is due. As far as I know, Tidal is currently the only streaming service that does inlude liner notes/track info. Perhaps worth considering to switch over?

jws1

why wouldn't you publish the liner notes? spotify is all about the music - right?? C'mon guys, get it done please.........

HaydnK

This is a disturbing insight into the ethos behind spotify.  The unwillingness to provide liner notes and credits is a breach of the moral rights of the artists involved in the creation of the music.  Spotify - just another pack of bean counters cashing in on the lowest common denominator. Especially so when they pay the artists so little, take so much and it would cost very little to add the relevant notes and credits.  Pox on you spotify.

ekuapm

Indeed!! TIDAL has all the credits for the artists! MAKE IT HAPPEN SPOTIFY!!! 

G2Gworld

Still relevant 

That is all

Andrejones216

I would like to see album credits for album.  Nostalgia moment. 

irisbunky

I, too, would love to see song credits.  It's nice to know who wrote the song, who sang the lead, who played keyboards, etc.  I can surf around for other apps, websites that have that info, but it would be nice if your app handled it!

Thanks

AndrewC123

It's absurd this is still missing, and a sure sign Spotify cares nothing about the musicians/producers who produce their "product". It's also incredibly short-sighted, as being able to check out a musician's work with other artists would only increase engagement within Spotify. Foolish.

dyudkin

It's a total travesty that Spotify doesn't include album credits on its albums. You're listening to a jazz album and you can't find a single reference to the drummer. Spotify needs to invest the necessary resources to changing this policy. 

umbra88

i find it horrifying that nowa days if your streaming or downloading you are denied basic info like who produced the album and what musicians played on each track. Not everyone are mindless listeners who care nothing about how the music was made. Spotify would be sooo much more appraised and respected if they added this info to the albums. It would be good for business and undoubtley better for patrons.