Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
xdamewood

COME ON, PEOPLE! You've been getting comments on this for at least 3 years now with over 2500 "kudos". GET WITH THE PROGRAM! I can't use many playlists at work because of the explicit content. If you want us to make the most of your service, then PLEASE make this an option. WAY OVERDUE!

JohnRichKlein

Was so excited to use this feature with my playstation. Tons of explicit content with no way to filter. Deleted it.

Bruster123

I'm in the opposite boat, I just downloaded spotify on my PS4 and all I can find are radio edit versions of songs, seeing as there are no young ones in my house it would be nice to get the original version of songs - however turning explicit on and off is a brlliant idea 

fishwarp

This would be a really useful feature. Please provide an update as to the current status of any planned implementation.

I've been a user of Spotify for many years, but with young children in the house the lack of a simply way of being able to play radio edit versions only is annoying. If a competitor starts to offer this feature I'd certainly switch.

Mitchontherun
I think that's what's annoying. They all offer it. At least Pandora and I
heart radio both offer the ability to filter explicit language. Can't
believe spotify is so far behind.

jimka_2001

I primarily have listened to classical and jazz over the time I've been a spotify user.  I recently tried to find a playlist for workout.  The first song that poped up loud over my speakers was explicitly describing how to lick someone's ass.  It was indeed marked as EXPLICIT.  Even if I don't have children in my house, I don't want to listen to music of this nature, (I hesitate to call it music).

Can we please get a preferences control for this? It would help alot.

Many thanks.

ooshwa

New Spotify subscriber here. I'm amazed this isn't already a feature, specially given how early it appaered in similar services.

Disappointed to see how old this thread is. Given how easy this would be to implement, it appears Spotify is purposely leaving this feature out. To what end?

mrmarsh
Seriously though, I just signed up for a free subscription and the only thing that holds me back from renewing a premium subscription is the lack of explicit controls. I frankly do not care for explicit content if a clean version is to be found. I would love to listen to this at work but I just could not do that setting that I work at a high school. I play music in the cafeteria. When they like what I play I tell them what app or station I have it on, so it would actually be good business for Spotify too listen to these suggestions from their users. So you could only imagine what would ensue if an explicit song came on over the speakers. Granted half of them listen to this stuff and wise everyday, however those that do not would go to parents and/or administration about said situation. So you can see why I am restricted from purchasing the premium plan and why many are in the same situation as me. I just hope that Spotify does listen so that by the time my trial comes to an end in two months, I can feel safe about renewing my subscription.
mhaithcox

This was suggested in 2012 .. 3 years ago and its still not implemented. Just looking at the under consideration list and the time frame things have been sitting shows this request and others within the comunity are not taken seriously. This one has to be done. Its nuts that you can't filter out explicit music.

cclakeman

It is very difficult to comprehend why Spotify has neglected to include this feature to this point.  Every single one of the main competing products has this feature (iTunes Radio, Pandora, Google Music and more).  This is an essential need.  I want to know I can turn on Spotify Radio and not have a song dropping F-bombs while my 10 year old is listening along with me.  

This feature would so perfectly round out Spotify for me.  Yes, there is the occassional too frequently repeated song on the radio mixes, but beyond that this service is the best overall.  But the lack of explicit filter not only has me considering dropping the service, I have already advised numerous families in my community to go with other options because of this.  

Not having the ability to filter explicit content is totally unacceptable.  Spotify PLEASE LISTEN TO YOUR CUSTOMERS!!!!