Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
kodos

Getting ready to ditch Spotify and take my $15/month ("Family" plan) to Apple or Google. Glad that they are not the only game in town. If you look at Spotify's history - they seem to be against filtering and the concerns of families for some apparently ideological reason. Look at what they did to the guy who wrote a Spotify app called "Bleep". They seemed to actively be against it.

Well, if they don't care for the concerns of us who have families and have parties/gatherings that are in mixed company, I know companies that support filtering.

xproject421

Well, I found this thread and got somewhat excited. Seeing that other listeners were interested in the filter explicit option and that Spotify wanted to support it. Then I saw that the initial post is "under construction for over a year.' Well this is good by for me. I think it's pretty insane that after  year, support for this hasn't been implimented. It's not difficult to do, could be done in less than a week and the update pushed out for every if Spotify truely cared about its listeners and subscribers.

@seabasscampos makes a good point that the feature couldn't be expected to be 100% accurate. But that is easy to communicate at the point someone engages the filter. I imagine that it would still be consistent enough to warrant its use. This is also not unique to Spotify. Other services that do offer filters have the same dilemma and yet offer it.

Come on, Spotify! Let's do this! 

#spotifyexplicitbutton  <-- tweet this up peeps!

kodos

Since no one from Spotify seems to want to comment on this - I think we might need to go to social media, and also to all the major tech blogs with this as an issue that Spotify has. I am going to let folks on my Facebook feed know that Spotify is not family friendly. When I see a review for Apple Music on a blog site, I am going to make sure to post in the comments that a negative of Spotify is a lack of family friendly filtering for explicit tracks, which all of its competitors have. If Spotify won't take action, then I don't think we should hesitate to let everyone else know that this is a negative of the service, before they pay $10/month or more to use it ($15 in my case).

gmartin12
I agree wholeheartedly. Apparently, the thousands of comments left here
are not enough to get Spotify's attention.

If we were to post this where thousands more join the campaign, Spotify
might then deem it fiscally necessary to provide a feature that actually
keeps up with their competitors.

xproject421
I concur. When I'm alone and listen my Rock playlists, profanity happens, but I don't want to subject my kiddos to that kind of language. My 4 year old son likes my music but have to skip over good songs because there's no way to filter out the explicit version for a clean version is just ridiculous.

dorenkamptd

What's the holdup on this?  It shouldn't be that hard, and Spotify is guaranteed to gain thousands of new customers from it.  Just do it!

Tdog

I can't let my children sign up to Spotify unless you can filter out explicit songs.  

megankrug

PLEASE put a button to shut off explicit content! I'm a music teacher and would like to use spotify in my classroom and I cannot trust it to not play bad language. I also dont listen to explicit content myself so I'd like to listen to the radio and not worry whats going to be played.

wnjordan

I was just terribly embarrased at a dinner party with lots of kids when an extremely explicity song started playing.  This is sort of a no-brainer feature that people expect to be there and are suprised to find that it's not.  It's time to stop ignoring the topic and get this solved.