Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
Freunkee
It must be difficult, as a large company, to really appreciate that there are problems that need remedies, when the product makes so much money .... I expect much of the available revenue for development is apportioned in a prioritised list. Well, just to keep you informed, I have been researching your competition in order to stream through my Sonos system. I don't want to cancel my subscription as my family gave made some great playlists, but, at 6 & 8 my kids are listening to lyrics and asking questions....i appreciate that you're busy, but could I have a reply please....
jerrih12

It's obvious that over the past 3 or more years with no response from Spotify (that our Research team can find), Spotify  is apparently not interested in this request, please note that I am working with a group of investors who are working on creating a similar (competitive) product that will include this option.  We will keep you all posted!

ibcm

It is pretty ridiculous that there's not a way to filter out explicit songs on Spotify.  I just started using it recently for my church and am surprised that there isn't an easy way to disable explicit music.  Of course I don't plan on playing any genres for church gatherings that would contain explicit tracks but I could see how something could happen accidentally where an explicit song is played.  If that even happened one time I would more than likely stop using Spotify all together.  Please consider adding this feature as soon as possible.

aMann

Love Spotify but I can't use it in my house or car because I have kids. Most other services have the option to disable explicit content...Spotify update much? 

seekon

I was actually shocked about not having the ability to filter explicit music. Such a basic nessessity for those who have kids. I had apple music which had this feature built in.  I decided to go with spotify because I like the variety of playlisst available. I assumed that I would be able to filter explicit songs.  Too my surprise this is a requested feature from 2012 and Spotify is waiting for votes "kudos" to work on implemnting this option.Absolutley unbelievable that a company like spotify would not want to market to families, guess what, there is a lot of us out there.

Its sad to say that I was promoting spotify over apple music, but I am forced to switch back to Apple Music, I may come back when this feature is actually implemented, but this will depend on how Apple improves their platform.

Absolutly shocked!

Perhaps for a starter, Spotify UK can stop adding explicits songs to their playlists?

Hot Hits UK for example is over 10% Explicit, so it means I can't just put some casual chart music on without the worry my 3yr old daughter has to listen to the Weeknd telling us how he just fk'd 2 bitches before he called the love of his life!

Please just provide a filter, it's not that challenging technically.  You've done the hard work getting songs tagged as explicit.

Perhaps more people would be motivated to be go Premium if they felt safe listening to music in more situations.

sjniedermeyer

Apple Music allows you to automatically skip explicit songs. It's a big reason I switched from using Spotifiy to Apple Music this week. I was just waiting for their Android app to come out. Apple Music seems much for family friendly with a $15 price tag and the explict skip option. Spotify is basically ignoring a large part of its user base as this idea has been around for a couple of years now. That's not what I call resposive to your customers. Spotify Team - you get a lot right, but in this case you're missing an opportunity to show you really do give the customer choice. 

maholzba

This should be a no brainer. Please add this functionality so I can actually listen around my kids.  Thanks.

I would love to have Spotify playing at home, but no chance when even the charts include explicit tracks. Please allow me to turn these off so I can listen to music when my 4yr old is in the same room.

123girr
Honestly spotify, it's pathetic that 1K+ of your subscribers, including some that don't really mind cussing in their songs have requested thus and you still haven't done anything about it. I would also like to be able to avoid songs that say **bleep** over ten times in less than ten seconds. Honestly, its NOT that hard, we just want a button, and since you guys clearly can't keep on top of it yourselves, we would like to help. LET US HELP YOU FOR EVERYONE'S SAKE!!!!