Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
campion10

Yeah if I could set my account to permanently filter all explicit content, I think I'd be a Spotify subscriber for life. Also I have trouble finding clean versions of albums under the artist. It sometimes doesn't show up under their artist page, but if I search Spotify specifically for an album title then I can find the clean version. I don't know why the clean version isn't ALWAYS listed under the artist. 

Stephenjpmurphy

I don't understand why there is an 'Explicit tag on tracks but there is nothing I can do to filter them out- what's the point in showing this tag beside the song?

sanderson2734

My kids know all the bad words now.  Thanks Spotify!!  Why haven't you added this feature yet?

jim1jim2jim3jim
I cancelled. Got YouTube Red for .99 for 3 months.
juleswhistles

Pretty pretty please make this a feature. It's the one thing I prefer about Pandora over Spotify as they have the option to exclude Explicit tracks. 

Whether wanting to check out new music safely, or wanting to listen to something other than our Disney playlists around my child, I'm really surprised this feature doesn't exist already (especially since this thread has been going for 4 years now).

Other than that I love Spotify!

Agreed
culbeda

Is it any wonder Spotify is losing money when they refuse to add such a highly-demanded and trivially-simple feature like filtering songs already marked as "Explicit"?

An estimated 20-30 million middle school and high school will have cell phones this year and parents are looking for a less expensive way for them to get and listen to music.  That's 20-30 million DIRECT opportunities plus the additional 10's of millions of indirect opportunities that come along with those users.

If Spotify is so concerned about competing with Apple, then they might want to reconsider giving Apple such an enormous and unncessary opportunity to poach their customer base.

woooinred

It has been at least a year or longer I checked on the status of this feature, and it still has not been implemented. You are rolling out new FAMILY pack to compete with others, but you don't care about explicit filter? 

Lam21575
I also love Spotify over Pandora but am cancelling my Spotify membership since this explicit lyric filter is still not available. How are you rolling out a "family membership" without this feature?? I'll be back as a member once I can filter out explicit lyrics from my children, but unfortunately cancelling until then. 😕
Stephenjpmurphy

As Spotify isn't listening to the requests on this post, I've taken the action described in previous posts. I've just removed my subscription and will not renew it until this feature implemented - now, it's time to go and see what the other steaming services have