Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
Bmozisek
It is marked as solved because s.h.i.t.i.f.y has decreed that they put the
money of the artist above the people they are serving music to. They think
that if they allow filtering then artist will not allow their music on the
service. So it is solved because they will not do anything.
mabsootmanitee

Agreed, whilst it doesn't bother me much my wife is adamant about not hearing swear words in music played at home or in the car. Please add this as an option.

jasonm16

Spotify won't do it.. Only conclusion is that it is part of some lame social engineering attempt to force obscene content upon our families.

Worst customer service I have ever seen.  I'll be using this board, and Spotify's non-action since 2012, as an example of how NOT to address customer's needs.

Thankfully, I am no longer paying Spotify, and neither is my company.  Can't say I will be sorry when they fail, which is going to happen. 

johncats

Spotify will in all probability feature in university business classes soon as an example of how not to conduct a business. They will fail, at least as a supplier of music to the average family. No doubt there is a small or even large niche market that will welcome their tactics, and they are welcome to it. The arrogance of spotify  allows them to censor what they consider to be profanity and disrespect on an adult forum -- **bleep** **bleep** --(see?), but not to allow parents and carers of children choice (not censorship) in a streaming service designed in part for those children, but without safeguards. The true irony is that while spotify seem to have a convuluted sense of what may or may not be obscene, they have so little regard for the rights or opinions of their customers that they allow open and concerted rebellion to go unhindered and unanswered, except for a few clever tricks - eg where is the give kudos button here I would like to tick a few!? Spotify will fail as a family and mainstream provider, and soon. And, you heard it right here on spotify forum, at their expense.

mabsootmanitee
I very much doubt Spotify will fail as a business. Their internet ethics line on this is very libertarian. Censor the internet at you're peril and all that.

There's also a legal imperative that says children aren't allowed social internet accounts in countries across the world. To acknowledge a complaint about children accessing a social tool, albeit a music subscription services is to admit legal liability to this legislation in numerous countries where the legislation is different in every case.

Calm down a little and consider what you're asking of a corporate entity. Word your requirements succinctly and you'll more than likely elicit a favorable response. It's you that needs the button, NOT your children.
jacobsato
Just uninstall Spotify. I went to Google Play. I've never been happier. More
music selection and better quality too.
Fd2k
I created a new issue since they are obviously ignoring this one. At least
they'll have to spend a few seconds marking the new issue as solved.
888margo888
mabsootmanitee

We are not talking "censor" we are talking choice. I think the internet is
in favor of choice.

Spotify sells a family plan - it is about the hypocrisy of not allowing
certain words on the community forum but allows no easy choice for their
customers to choose whether to listen to to the same words that are not
allowed on the forum. Yes you can "wear" your music so it can be changed
when an explicit song comes on whether at work, home, or in the car -with
or without other people around. Other music streaming companies have the
ability to choose. Many of us like all other aspects of Spotify streaming;
just not this.

I see that you are a new person to the forum and you have brought up the
legal liability issue which is an important component of this. Thank you.

Right at 35,000 requests over 4 years have been made (some succinctly and
some not so much) to be able to have all or no explicit music, with no
reply from Spotify. Obviously they are not going to address these requests,
but it would be nice to hear the true reason it is not going to happen
instead of being ignored.
candy7man747

Well I did it.  I cancelled my spotify account after this update to the thread.  I use to be a Pandora listener but their lack of random songs on their stations brought me to Spotify.  Liked it except for two issues, half baked Sonos integration and this, lack of profanity filters on radio.  Having three kids I just can't justify subscribing to a service that does not have such basic functionality.  Then add the lack of feature development on a timely manner and away I went.  Signed up to Google music, 5 min to enable the feature on the radio station.   Good luck everyone.

avrep71

uggh. I should have looked into this before buying the family plan to include my daughter.  I will have to cancel and convince my husband to move to Google Music. This is absolutely ridiculous not to offer this basic feature.