Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
Coolwind7

6 years and nearly 11,500 votes at this point - it seems Spotify doesnt care about this feature or the ten thousand+ potential customers. I’ve cancelled my subscription and am going to try Apple Music.  Good luck to all who continue with the service.

pepsiprs

I have kids. I want to select a pop, dance, etc radio station and not have to worry about jumping back to the screen to skip a song I didn’t know had explicit lyrics until it was too late.

Ja1000

I am so fed up it’s this lack of feature - TV companies have to abide by a watershed so do radio stations - why should streaming services who currently have 40% of the UK top 50 songs which have explicit lyrics not be allowed to abide by this.  I grew up without it being even an option - SPOTIFY THIS HAS TO CHANGE by self governing by pressure or legislation.  It’s not like kids can’t set themselves up.  SORT IT OUT NOW.  I am taking this to OFCOM and UK parliament for additional pressure.

alexrbrowne

This filter can work in two ways, either just the dumb way to filter out songs tagged as explicit (which requires a the record label marking it as such) or in an active filter where the words are quieten out in the song based on a  linguistic filter. I hear alot of songs that are unmarked (no explicit label) yet have 'sh%t' used regularly in them. This means I have to be close to the controller if my children are around (4-5 years old). 

Alextheophanous

Brill idea! 

Great idea. Lack of explicit lyric filter is Spotify's biggest flaw.

antunesaa
Hi Coolwind7
I switched to Apple Music and the filter does work, including in my mother
tongue, Portuguese. So far my kids and wife all have had a good experience
with Apple Music. I always thought that Spotify was a superior product, but
Apple Music is almost as good, and with the bad language filter definitely
is worth the switch.
Good to know. Thanks!

Thanx for the info about Apple music!  NOT a really big fan of any Apple products, but if their product in this case more accommodating to me/my family listening ears then that's the route we need to go!! 

cbass

This has been something I've wanted since my first day of using Spotify many years ago. The first time I played Spotify was at a get-together and, sure enough, the Explicit version of a song popped on in a playlist. Can't have this soon enough!