Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
99Joanna

And Spotify people, how many users have to give their approval before you sort something out? Surely it's just a one button add on?

revjosh

Spotify,

this would be VERY NICE TO HAVE! Be nice to turn on a playlist and not have to worry about explicit lyrics coming through my computer and or phone. I have little kids and worry that some song I don't approve comes on. Thank you for making this happen!

popper123

Just signed up for Apple streaming music, same price and they have this feature!

mzf

Having a "Clean Music" option would be really helpful for when there are other people around and you want to be able to socialize without worrying about what song will come on, especially using the radio playlists. Pandora does it, so does iTunes radio. Spotify is great, but by not having the explicit filter, the value drops considerably.

FlyteOne

I came on here to post the same request.

I'm currently the "DJ" at work, and love some of the playlists out there. But unfortunately I cannot leave my phone playing whilst I go out of the workshop as it's always sod's law that the moment i leave, artists are dropping the F-bomb all over the shop.

shelby359

I use spotify premium at my boutique in a small town.  i've pulled up many mood/genre playlists and had to literally sprint back to the office to change an explicit song!  Yikes!  I personally have the vocabulary of a sailor but can't have it blaring in the store!

shelby359

I use spotify premium at my boutique in a small town.  i've pulled up many mood/genre playlists and had to literally sprint back to the office to change an explicit song!  Yikes!  I personally have the vocabulary of a sailor but can't have it blaring in the store! An option would be awesome

Mickjk

I think this should be escalated from a 'Good Idea' to an 'Essential Requirement' Spotify must have a responsibility for the content they broadcast and protecting Children and the public from profanities must be an option. I'm sure the T's and C's probably say it's our responsibility (a bit like VTECH) but it would make it at least possible if they added this functionality

mg99

agree.  come on Spotify...

erikaglwallgren

My wife and I are very hooked on Spotify (Premium) and we wish we could get the kids on it so we can all share music through the house.  However, with the ability to search and hear any song it makes it hard to use the real power of Spotify - listening to others playlist.  Yes, we don't want our kids growing up listening to the Mickey Mouse club.  An Explicit Lyrics filter would solve this and make this service great.  Please produce this feature.  You would have an even happier and committed customers base.