Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
Rvsham
Yes please! We really need this feature.
caamich

I like this idea, especially if it would work even on the songs that aren't marked explicit but are still explicit versions! I live in a building with mostly elderly, strict-Christian people, so having the f-bomb blast from my apartment while I'm unable to reach the controls on my device is a very bad thing.

SusySV

Please do make it possible to filter explicit songs.

lorak8
It wouldn't be taking explicit content away, just making it an option a
person can choose in their own account.
momndad

888margo888

Thank you for the height of hypocrisy argument taken directly from Spotify's own community guidelines.

https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Explicit-button/idc-p/1346247#M79332

johnthomson

Just checking Spotify out as a possible streaming service, I can tell you I wouldn't use it without this feature. Should be able to opt out of hearing bad language, I play my music with the kids around.

arnydo

As much as I enjoy Spotify, the ability to create my own custom playlists is really what is keeping me subscribed. The lack of the ability to filter out "Explicit" songs is really dissappointing. Especially since this has been an onging request from the community for at least three years!

I have small children in the house and simply will not start a Spotify radio station becuase there is no telling what will be playing nor do I enjoy listening to the explicit songs. I too request that an option be made to skip or block explicit songs on our individual accounts.

Thank you.

porscheluvr

Come on.... This is a nobrainer.

Their are some songs I dont want my 12 Year old daughers exposed to. ie Old thing back by JaRule

"....I'm guaranteed to f**k her til her nose bleeds".

Just do it please.

johncats

The church had a similar attitude to child abuse. There are kids special playlists that lure them in and then shower them with filth. There is your error of judgement  Spotify - not the fault of parents who buy a FAMILY??? subscription. In english, family can includes children, and would logically imply that the material designed for children was suitable. Do you believe, Spotify, that much of your material is suitable for children? Please let us know what sort of mentality we are up against.

jim1jim2jim3jim

Please forward this email to the proper management:

I agree completely, I don't think music should be changed from it's original form either. However, that being said, it would benefit Spotify to offer an option to block offensive or suggestive music all together. Many people do not personally care for music with poor language. It alienates those with sensitive ears and can poorly influence children. I basically can't use your service with children in my car, work or house, other than through the tedious task of making a playlist. You already classify music as explicit, so adding this feature should be simple. It seems foolish to loose customers over being offensive on purpose. 

There have been folks in your forums since February 2012 requesting this feature. I guess your customers don't matter?: https://community.spotify.com/t5/Live-Ideas/Explicit-button/idi-p/3869#comments 

Google offers this, and that is why I have decided to discontinue business with your company permanently.

Regards,