Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
johncats

UriRGere - what does that mean?

alavorato2

I tried to use Spotify with my students in the classroom setting.  I love the different channels to engage the students.  Since there is NO button to skip "explicit" lyrics, I have to stick with Pandora.  As is stands right now., Spotify is not an appropriate app for the school setting.

I vote for adding this button.

Thank you!

zotje

@888margo888 I have moved away from Spotify almost 10 months ago and I am still amazed that these same problems are still here.  If you look back at these posts from the past 4 years, you will see that users have tried all the same things.  I have contacted them on twitter, wrote to their HQ in New York.  Tried to make them see the logic of their usergroups being censored, but not their music.   Their response is always the same.  We do not censor the artist.

So, I do not use Spotify.  I have moved to Apple Music...google music, Tidal are just as good.  They all have this feature.

The one thing I saw in your post that keeps you from moving away is your playlist collection.  I did spend a lot of time recreating the ones I really wanted, but I had about 50 that I never converted.   Last month, an app called Songshift came out that will create Apple Music playlists from your spotify playlists.  You just log into spotify and it will collect all your playlists and convert them one by one.  The best part of it is that it is free. I'm sure that more apps like this will follow now that the APIs have been released.  Hopefully, there will be some apps for Tidal and google music that will truly free our choice of music streaming. For me, I am now totally free of spotify and not coming back.  I can be just as hard headed as Spotify.  They keep it up and next year they'll probably lose even more than the $194 million they lost this year.

888margo888

Thanks so much for your post zotje, I will look into Songshift. I am so ready to give up my bargain $5.00 a month no ad Spotify account.  I signed up right after they came to the US and got in on the initial price break.  Will see what Tidal has to say about explicit IF they reply to my email -they may be like Spotify the only correspondence that matters is the check in the mail. 
The last email I had from Spotify stated that there is currently no way to block explicit content and that is why they ask that users are at least 12 years old. But lets sell a family plan. 
Take your choice of any of these words to describe the developers thinking about this subject: halfwit, dunce, dolt, ignoramus, cretin, moron, imbecile, simpleton, ninny, nincompoop, chump, dimwit, dumbo, dummy, dum-dum, loon, dork, sap, blockhead, jughead, bonehead, knucklehead, fathead, numbskull, doofus, clod, dunderhead, ditz, lummox, knuckle-dragger, dipstick, thickhead, meathead, meatball, wooden-head, airhead, pinhead, lamer, lamebrain, peabrain, birdbrain, mouth-breather, scissorbill, jerk, nerd, donkey, nitwit, twit, boob, twerp, hoser, schmuck, bozo, turkey, chowderhead, dingbat.  
Of course all bad word descriptions were removed................:-)
email:     support@spotify.com and open a case titled Subscription - Spotify Family

wheelnutrusty
I welcome the fact that Spotify Family not lets me add up to five family members. I'd love to add my 9 year old daughter to Spotify but can't risk exposing her to explicit content.
Parental controls really need to be implemented, if other services can do it, why not Spotify??
johncats

888margo888 

You left out perverted

earlstod

OK.  So, if we are all insisting on parental controls and Spotify won't listen, I say we go with an ultimatum.  If we all band together and say that we give them until July 1st to come up with a solution or we all cancel our service, we may get some attention.  I could cancel by myself but this would be a drop in the bucket.  If all 5,000 + of us who are bothered by this joined together and did it at the same time, that would probably make some real noise. 

What do you think?

DAISPOTIFY

I've decided this week that this simply isn't worth waiting for anymore so I've cancelled my premium subscription and jumped to Google Play music instead. I'll miss some of the better features of Spotify but I'm already happy I've jumped ship and so are my ears!

johncats

- and hypocrite! (wonderful standards for community respect involve censorship.)  It is a pity these same standards dont carry over to at least a CHOICE in what Spotify is all about - the music 

jacobsato
Why do all this threating? They have had four years and many, many requests.
Really, simply cancel your membership and come back when it is available.
That simple. There are just too many great options out there today.