Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
rubylynn60

I can't believe how many songs have the explicit box after them. I also can't believe Spotify does not have a button to exclude them.  I find myself not wanting to listen to "release radar" or "your discover weekly" or "new music friday" or "US top 50" because I constantly have to jump up and down to go to a different song when the

f bomb starts dropping or what ever inappropriate word or lyrics comes up.  Not everyone enjoys music like that.

Jclemm

About mother**bleep**en time you put this feature in ...no feature no **bleep**en family account. If you dont enjoy my colourful language in your mother**bleep**en forum then you will understand how I feel listening to spotify in my mother**bleep**en kitchen!

Jclemm

Super that you see fit to filter out my explicit language in your forum but you dont allow your customers the same courtesy. I am going to start reporting Spotify for decency breaches until it allows a filter Beep that mother**bleep**ers

Vixlemas

No brainier.!

Jruddy

It has been 5 years since this request was submitted and still no solution? I am so disappointed! You have a family plan and no explicit filter? This is were Apple Music and Pandora come in ahead of Spotify. Disappointing!!!

Jamarctatum

If enough people not only comment but vote it as a good idea then maybe it will happen. The lack of this option is the one and only reason I still use Pandora.

mccelano

It's been a year since Spotify has made a comment - has anyone heard of any new updates?

sm00thtaco

Seriously... what is the hold up with this feature? Are the artists whining because they won't get as much air time? Or is Spotify just happy with people canceling (or refusing to pay for a subscription in my case.) Seriously, finding so much on this topic and yet no real action by Spotify. So weird! (And borderline stupidity...) Come on, get your technological act together! 

orwell2014

The lack of a family/kid filter is why I haven't gone to the family plan. Add that and I'll do it in a second.

sm00thtaco

The sheer number of posts on this topic is staggering! Almost as equally staggering is the ability the Spotify team has had to ignore this request... since as early as 2012! Wow! Are you trying to hurt your own business??? Isn't it what REAL radio stations do on a daily basis??? I'm perplexed. You seem like intelligent people who want happy customers... that subscribe. I would be happy to play Spotify at home with my kids, or at school with my students, or in general around people who I am never sure how they feel about F*CK and B*TCH and other inappropriate language. But maybe you guys like that...