Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
andymcollins

Having a family account that isn’t suitable for a family is a poor decision.  Add the option to filter explicit lyrics. I will be subscribing to Apple Music which has this option  until this happens

Thanks will check Apple out. Are they better than Pandora? Same?
NoExplicitSongs

Please sort out a feature to filter Explicit songs - frankly I don't like to hear obsenities in songs, and really don't want my children who have access via a Family account I have set up... get it sorted soon or I'll switch to other music streaming providers.

berthappyhour

Come on Spotify, enough is enough. How can you possible use the title 'Premium Family' as an account option when you don't offer explicit song filtering. As previously mentioned, a simple filter on/off buttton would be sufficient. This is really a bad joke. I've just about had enough and will be cancelling my premium account if this is not rectified. People need to start voting with their feet and leaving Spotify for something to happen. Very sad.

azevedor
@mesc1
I've switched to apple music and I am extremely pleased. I'm essentially
happy with their For You feature, with a great selection of recommended
music.
I went to Pandora because I was out voted. Plus Pandora can work with the Echo dot.
I liked what Apple Music had to offered.
krisroberson-us

The last official response from Spotify seems to be in 2016.

Spotify, you indicate that you think this is a good idea.

So.... make it happen!

I'm not a programmer but you'd think this would be an easy thing to deply. Music is already marked with the, "Explicit" tag.

Just add a button that filters out songs with the, "Explicit" tag for those of us who would prefer not to hear those pieces.

Basic, Simple.... and yet years along it still hasn't happened.

Please explain why this has not happened.

senorjames

#2 idea in the community, initiated 5+ years ago. Not difficult to implement. I can't discover any new music on spotify and have my kids in the room so everything has to be a curated list by me. Really? Hello? Spotify?

pete_sa

I see this option is now available with Spotify Your Business/Soundtrack Business. Surely it isn't a far reach to add it to the user version of Spotify?

greenfont

did someone say 'vote with your feet'?

I'm going to. This is how the pros do it:

https://support.apple.com/en-au/HT205255

no difference in costs!