Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
jsanford

I won a year of free spotify.  

Without the ability to turn off explicit content

• I will not expand to the family plan to include my children
  • I will not renew my account when the free year is over.

kvanduyn

Why is this still not a feature?  

This was requested over 2 and a half years ago and would be extremely useful for many people while listening to music at:

• Work
  • Family gatherings
  • Social events
  • With kids around

Please add in this ability so that we can listen in these, and other scenarios, without worrying about explicit content.

Alloyedchild

I have a 6 month free premium trial and love Spotify but will switch to Pandora after the 6 months if no filter explicit becomes available. Pandora has it! C'mon Spotify!

auhsor

Just a reminder about the app I made to fix this problem. It actually does work - I've been using the Mac version at work for about a month now.

Spotless - a free Spotify Profanity Filter

Spotless will enable you to automatically skip any tracks that have been marked as Explicit by Spotify. 

Get it here:

http://spotless.rocks

dohboy7778
as someone who listens to primarily radio edits,it's easy to forget that the songs we hear on the radio are cleaned up versions and the regular song is quite nasty. This is the main thing that keeps me at Pandora
hendryjaeger

I enabled the premium 30 day free trial and really liked that I could have the music on all my devices and play any song. But that was outweighed by the fact my daughter heard the F* word more often in that 30 day trial than she has in the rest of her 9 year life. I can't with good conscience pay for something I can hardly use without some young person being exposed to explcit lyrics.

Come on Spotify, what are you waiting for with this simple functionality? I assume all songs you receive into your catalog are rated - at least you know which are explciit - and a boolean setting on the app to control whether to allow explicit or not - it can't be that hard.

Between this and the fact that clicking thumbs down on a song 10 times a day does not stop it being played back to you in 20 minutes makes the whole experience feel very amateur hour.

spookygroup

My wife was having a "dance party" with my daughters playing music from Spotify through her phone.  Then "**bleep**ed My Way Up To The Top" came on.  Party over.  Boy, it would be great to have an Explicit filter in Spotify.  Pandora has this.  Even better, you can only change the setting on their website after entering your password.  

trish64

Thsi is an absolutely critical function!  Without the ability to screen out explicit songs, your service is unusable for anyone with children.  I can't use Spotify to stream music through the house, can't use it at family gatherings, can't use it for dinner parties.  This is a must-do if you really want to be the de facto streaming service in the market.  Don't wait another minute!!  

stevepne
Would love to be able to let my 7 year old use spotify but just can't as unable to filter content. It would be great to have some form of parental control to allow filtering of songs with explicit lyrics or by limiting access to selected playlists. Please make this happen. It can't be that hard. Thanks.
dj55

I'm surprised that after several years there still isn't a feature that allows you to avoid "F*@!" this and other explicit content from jumping out of your speakers. Putting "Explicit" next to a particular song does not prevent it from playing. Do all those that run the show at Spotify really think this is no big deal?? Do they not have kids?