Announcements
The Spotify Stars Program: Celebrating Values Week!

Help Wizard

Step 1

NEXT STEP

[All Platforms] Explicit Filter

Add a button that controls whether Explicit songs are played or not.  When it is off and you're listening to an album or playlist, the explicit songs are skipped. That way you can still listen to your favorite album or playlist when more impressionable members of the family (kids / parents) are around.

Updated on 2018-12-06

Hey folks!

It's great to hear music as the artist intended it to be heard, this means Spotify can sometimes include explicit content.

We recommend looking out for the EXPLICIT tag on any releases (E on the web player).
Note: Our explicit content tags are applied based on information we receive from rights-holders. This means we can’t guarantee all explicit content is marked as such. 

It's also now possible to use the Explicit content filter on mobile and tablet devices (more devices coming soon!). Right now, the setting is only for the individual account and device. If you do apply the setting on your phone, it doesn't filter explicit content for the same account on the desktop app. It also doesn’t apply if you use Spotify Connect to play to another device. For more information on this, check out this support article.

We'll keep you up-to-date if there's anything else to share!

Thanks
Comments
wrosenstein

Not going to continue to pay for premium service and still have to do itunes dowloads for the kids due to all the explicit material on spotify. 

Almost a year later and nothing on this? I can't listen to radio stations at home, or work.Worried about curse words and others around. I see you already have songs marked as if they are explicit or not. so why is it so hard to program this? 

tuck2002

Nearly $500M in revenues for 2012!?... Please stop the excuses and fix it.

It's called corporate responsibility & it directly affects the integrity of your company & it's leadership. 

Devsol

I'm another dad who gives his phone to his daughter in the car, I love it that she can just look up a song that she just listened to at her dance class - add it to her playlist and off she goes singing dancing away. BUT she is 7 and when she looks up some songs the language she doesn't get the radio edit! I'm no prude; I know she has already started hearing it at school but in my mind the longer we keep them a least a little innocent the better...

Go on spotify, if for nothing else its a great publicity thing

Do your bit for the mums and dads who want to let their kids listen to great music but don't want them singing  F*!k you at the top of thier voices...

rhammond

I can't say anything that hasn't already been added on here.  This needs to be an option.  

jimmut

Thanks Spotify..I now have an out of control swearing 14 yo... I wondered why he was swearing so much and found out all the garbage he was listeing to from your service. I wish I could sue you for messing up my kid. No proof but I know he wouldn't be this bad if he wasn't listening to the garbage your service allowed. I should of stuck with Pandora...At least their is an option and it workds great! SMH!!

auburnlibrary

Need the button, kids are playing too many songs with the f word, I will cancel if it is not put into effect.

Err - dear spotify - the explicit button has been on your consideration list for at least a year now.

To quote yourselves:

"Since this is happening and we really care, we are going to mark this idea as "Under Consideration"."

Come on - this is not a complex issue and its not a complex software challenge. I can only assume your lack of response to this is because you dont actually really give a sh*zzle about what your users want. Im having to explain to my son why he cant listen to certain songs now and what the swear words are.

Im not sure what the value of having this community is as clearly no-one is taking these ideas seriously or responding in a timely manner - this action is most probably doing you more harm than good. Either take action or take this community down...

Disgruntled user....

mikemiller2403

I am new to Spotify and have been using it for just over a week. I signed up for the Premium service so I am paying for Spotify. I switched over from Pandora because of the control Spotify gives me over the music I listen to versus Pandora. Great control except for the explicit language songs that come on when listening to the radio channels. Several times I have rushed to my computer to stop a song that is spewing the F word so my kids don't think Dad has lost his morals. We also host people in our home and I usually have music playing... well not anymore! I can't take the chance of listening to a clean top forty song followed by a song full of EXTREMELY FOUL language! I notice that this has been a complaint for over a year and nothing has been done to fix it. I find it ironic that your company responded to the initial post with ".....Since this is happening and we really care...". If you "really cared" you would have fixed this in the year since you said that. If this isn't fixed with an "opt out" button or something similar, I WILL take my money elsewhere..... Promise! And guess what, I will do some blog posting of my own to talk about customer support, or the lack there of, at Spotify. So which customer support do I blog about? That you guys listen and really do "care" or that you basically tell your customers to "Kiss off"!

ruskj

To me there are four user stories that could be addressed by this feature:

1. Users who would like to play only clean tracks and disable playing tracks that are only available as explicit)
  2. Users who prefer clean tracks but do not want to disable playing tracks that are only available as explicit
  3. Users who prefer explicit tracks but do not want to disable playing tracks that are only available as clean
  4. Users who would like to play only explicit tracks and disable tracks that are only available as clean

Thanks a million reading and considering the suggestion 🙂

— Justin

yorkqm

I may have to stop using Spotify if the ability to filter out explicit songs and adds isn't added soon.  I love Spotify but not at hte cost of having the offensive content pot up unknowingly.